Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - March 5, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Mar 5, 2024, 12:02:59 PMMar 5
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Ten Easy Steps to Creating a Bird Friendly Garden, a talk by Brian Dirking
Tuesday, March 5, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM - Tonight!
Location: Pacifica Sharp Park Library - 104 Hilton Way, Pacifica
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299608157/

There are few things more rewarding than drawing birds to your garden and providing all the elements they need to survive and raise their young. For many gardeners, just a few simple changes can make all the difference. In this talk, we'll take a look at gardening from a bird's perspective and then delve into the ten elements that can transform your garden into a bird paradise. Attendees will receive a free packet of California native wildflowers that benefit birds that they can try out in their own gardens.

Brian Dirking has loved gardening from an early age, helping his grandmother in her backyard and nurturing her prizewinning African violets. In 2020 he realized that he could save time, money and the planet by converting most of his yard to a native habitat garden. Inspired by Doug Tallamy's book Nature's Best Hope, he has planted hundreds of California native plants in his small San Carlos garden to create a lush and vibrant oasis that feeds bees, butterflies, birds and more!

[2] Create a Pollinator Paradise in Your Garden, a talk by Jennifer Dirking
Wednesday, March 6, 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Location: Foster City Library - 1000 E Hillsdale Blvd, Foster City
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299608448/

Pollinators are essential for a thriving garden ecosystem, but often cannot access all of the elements they need to flourish and raise the next generation. Learn how you can create a beautiful low water "paradise" for bees, butterflies and other pollinators in your garden, and boost your fruit and vegetable yields in the process. Attendees will receive a free packet of California native wildflowers for pollinators to try out in their own gardens.

Jennifer Dirking has been an organic gardener for over 40 years, but only recently transformed her garden from a food desert to a habitat oasis in her suburban San Carlos neighborhood. Inspired by Doug Tallamy's book Nature's Best Hope, she has reached beyond her garden fence to develop partnerships and inspire hundreds of others throughout the Bay Area to begin their own native gardening journey.

[3] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, March 8, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3289/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, March 9, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299275924/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, March 9, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park - 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299277395/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided. First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[6] Stile Ranch Trail
Sunday, March 10, 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Santa Teresa County Park, Bernal Rd, San Jose, CA
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299471017/

Join Dee and Ken Himes for a 3 to 4-mile early spring wildflower hike to Stile Ranch, on the south side of Santa Teresa County Park, through serpentine grasslands and chaparral. This will be a great trip for those who are interested in plants and flowers that are endemic to the serpentine soil profile and seeps and also for those who are new to field trips and native plants.

On this hike we expect to see in bloom California plantain, California gilia, woodland shooting star, California buttercups, a variety of lomatiums and sanicles and maybe more, given the additional precipitation we had in February. We will also see leather oak and black salvias.

The hike will be moderate in intensity. We are starting earlier in the day to beat the heat as it gets pretty HOT, and there's no overhead shade until we get to the Fortini Trail. Bring extra water, snacks and a bag lunch; we also recommend wearing a wide brim hat and bringing walking stick(s). For Plant list, please print your own copy: Stile Ranch Plant List 2022.

Meetup RSVPs will open up one week before the event. RSVP Required. This trip is limited to 20 people, due to narrow trails. No drop-ins please.

Directions - Note that this is at the southern end of Santa Teresa Park, not the main entrance. From CA-85 in San Jose, exit Almaden Expy south. Continue south for about 5 miles to the end of the road then turn right onto Harry Rd. Take the next left onto McKean Rd and go 1.3 miles. Turn left onto Fortini Rd and continue 0.6 miles. Turn left onto San Vicente Ave, the parking lot is on the right in less than 0.25 miles.
Latitude/Longitude: 37.203355, -121.806013

Parking: Parking in a small gravel lot. No toilet facilities or water. No designated handicapped parking, the trail is not suitable for wheelchairs.

[7] Easy to Grow Native Plants for the Home Garden, a talk by Patricia Evans
Thursday, March 14, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor) - 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299598302/

Have you been told that native plants are dry and brown, hard to find, hard to grow, fire-prone, or expensive? In this talk, landscape designer Patricia Evans will bust these myths and more. She will explain the many benefits of growing native plants, and show pictures of the best native annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees suited for a home garden. She will also explain how to plant and water to ensure success. There will be a free raffle for door prizes of native plants.

Patricia Evans is a retired garden designer who specializes in native plants and sustainable landscapes. She graduated from the Foothill College Ornamental Horticulture program and served on the boards of directors of Gamble Garden and the Association of Professional Landscape Designers. She also taught "Garden Design for Homeowners" for Palo Alto Adult Education.

[8] Greeters needed for library talk
Thursday, March 14, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor) - 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Patricia Evans will be speaking at the Cupertino library on "Easy to Grow Native Plants for the Home Garden". We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.

Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

[9] Blazing Star Mailing Party
Tuesday, April 23, 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center, 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F49A9A729AAFD0-46821178-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the May-June 2024 newsletter. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. No prior experience is necessary. Snacks, drinks and tales of our CNPS adventures will be provided. So, join us for a few hours of doing some easy tasks while enjoying the camaraderie of fellow CNPS folks.

The mailing party will be held at the Raptor suite meeting room downstairs, at the Peninsula Conservation Center.

Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[10] Habitat Restoration: Coyote Brush Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, March 7, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Rogue Valley, Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=893382

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive coyote brush in Rogue Valley at the Rancho San Antonio Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[11] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, March 7, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve/LH07
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=904512

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this species from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[12] Don't Make Your Life Bitter & DON'T LITTER! - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, March 9, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dont-make-your-life-bitter-dont-litter-registration-811207853527

Come help us clean the Coyote Creek and Trail for National Groundwater Awareness Week!

Help us beautify Coyote Creek and surrounding trails through a community cleanup. Meet new people; improve a neighborhood park; watch the overwintering birds; build community around a shared sense of service.

Please join our waitlist if this event is full.

[13] Early March Guided Hikes at Máyyan 'Ooyákma! - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, March 9 and Sunday, March 10
Location: Máyyan 'Ooyákma – Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve - 9611 Malech Road, Morgan Hill
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/early-march-guided-hikes-at-mayyan-ooyakma-tickets-808424197537

Please choose the time slot that works best for you. The same 3-mile hike will be offered from 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM, 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, and 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM on Saturdays and Sundays.

Máyyan ‘Ooyákma - Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve features serpentine grasslands which provide refuge for a wide variety of rare plants and wildlife, some of which have teetered on the edge of extinction. On these guided hikes visitors will learn about the native wildflower blooms and the rare Bay checkerspot butterfly population found within the preserve!

This guided hike will be three miles long and have over 500 ft of elevation gain as we hike up the Bay Checkerspot Trail to the first overlook and then back down the same way. Comfortable hiking shoes are recommended.

To help protect this sensitive and unique ecosystem, in March, April, and May the trails will be open by reservation only on Saturdays and Sundays. During this time, the public must sign up here for a docent-led hike to access the Bay Checkerspot trail, the Tule Elk Trail, and the Serpentine Spring Trail.

[14] Trees Are Smart - by Midpen
Sunday, March 10, 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Location: Windy Hill Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/trees-are-smart

Find out about the amazing wonders of trees on this leisurely-paced hike around Sausal Pond with Docent Naturalists Olga and Tony Bright. As you follow the Ridge and Betsy Crowder trails you’ll learn about how trees make their own food and protect themselves from predators. This is an easy, family-friendly walk with only a few slight inclines. Feel free to bring snacks.

[15] Overview of Naturehood: CNPS Native Plant Gardening Webinar
Monday, March 11, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/overview-of-naturehood-cnps-native-plant-gardening-webinars

Join us to learn about the webinars to get you growing with California native plants!

When you garden with native plants, you cultivate a beauty unique to California, provide invaluable habitat, conserve precious resources and restore connections to the environment around you. With native plants, you have the power to make a difference in your garden, yard, balcony, patio, windowsill and beyond. Ready to get growing?

Learn about these webinars that are deep dives into topics like watering native plants, best pruning practices, choosing aromatic plants for the garden, and much more! These webinars are hosted by CNPS and feature expert gardeners.

[16] Help needed to conduct SOD blitzes
March 15 to June 30
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/?page_id=2495
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/

Sudden Oak Death (SOD), a serious exotic disease, is threatening the survival of tanoak and several oak species in California. Currently SOD is found in the wildlands of 14 coastal California counties, from Monterey to Humboldt. While patchy in distribution, with each passing year, the swath of infection continues to become more contiguous.

Dr. Matteo Garbelotto, Director of the U.C. Berkeley Forest Pathology and Mycology Laboratory, is seeking the help of the community to study the extent of SOD in our local forests.

SOD blitzes inform and educate the community about Sudden Oak Death, get locals involved in detecting the disease, and produce detailed local maps of disease distribution. The map can then be used to identify those areas where the infestation may be mild enough to justify proactive management. Several government agencies and local land owners rely on the results of the SOD Blitzes to make important decisions.

Each area/county selects a preferred weekend (or couple of days midweek) to run the local blitz between March 15 and June 30. However, more than one blitz per week can be managed, if need be. A Friday/Saturday to Tuesday event is recommended, (but again, you are free to be as creative as you want or need to be). The activity will be organized similar to the previous two years. This involves online registration and training, and then pick up and return of materials at local SOD Blitz stations that are normally manned for two hours, the very first day of each Blitz. Return by mail can also be arranged.

So, if you have been an organizer of a SOD Blitz last year, or you would like to organize one in the spring, now is the time to pick your preferred dates for the 2024 SOD Blitzes. Please pick the best and the second best option for your local blitz event. Write down your two choices in an email and send it to matteog @ berkeley.edu . Please write 2024 SOD BLITZ DATES in the subject line.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.