Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - November 14, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Nov 14, 2023, 11:16:54 PM11/14/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, November 17, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3273/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

Contact Friday leader Paul Heiple at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org.

New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

Sturdy gloves are recommended; you might also want to bring sunscreen, water, a hat, layered clothing and wear long sleeves/pants. Location varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices.

[2] Photo Group Meeting
Friday, November 17, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297168579/

The CNPS SCV Photo Group meets via Zoom on 4th Fridays, 7 - 8:50 PM. In this supportive peer group, beginners and experts are equally welcome. Folks who just want to see pictures and hear photo tips are welcome too.

Register at the link below for the next meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-iqqzMpGNzp2osMkgoP48j7WucbIPnS

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with a Zoom link for the meeting.

If you have pictures to share, sign up for a slot. Share your pictures, techniques, and ideas from your desktop via zoom. Slots are 20 minutes each; plan your photos and discussions accordingly. Presenters receive a 1-minute-remaining alert. Sign up for a slot at the link below:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-cnps18

To participate in other Photography Group activities, join the email list:
https://cnps-scv.org/activities/photography-group

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, November 18, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297028407/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, November 18, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297029338/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We will be planting native plants in a mulched area of the park. A total of 600 "plugs" will be planted by the end of November.

Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Sunday, November 19, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/297049675/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We will be planting native plants to create a native garden.

Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[6] Greeter needed for library talk
Tuesday, November 28, 6:30 PM - 8:45 PM
Location: Saratoga Library Community Room, 13650 Saratoga Avenue, Saratoga.
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Jill Sowards will be talking at the Saratoga library on how to make wreaths using native plants. We need one more greeter for this event. Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] Habitat Restoration - French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, November 16, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Saratoga Gap Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=856925

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Saratoga Gap Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[8] Restoration Open House - by Midpen
Thursday, November 16, 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM
Location: Midpen Administrative Office - 5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos, CA 94022
https://www.openspace.org/events/restoration-open-house

Midpen staff are passionate about restoring open space lands to help make life better in the Bay Area, and want to share these projects with you during our habitat restoration open house at Midpen's administrative office in Los Altos.

Midpen's overarching mission has three critical components: preserving open space land, restoring the natural environment and providing for ecologically sensitive public enjoyment and education. A large part of the work Midpen does today centers around the restoration aspect of the mission, yet it is often hard to see. Midpen lands have long histories of various human uses, and staff are excited to share information and answer questions about how Midpen works to restore the natural functions of grasslands, waterways and forests so that life can continue to thrive in our region. Multiple projects will be featured including:
    La Honda Creek Preserve Forest Health Project
    Santa Cruz Kangaroo Rat Research and Adaptive Management
    Long Ridge Forest Health, Hendrys Creek Restoration, Irish Ridge Restoration and more!

Drop by anytime, and while you're there, find out about current paid internships, job openings and volunteer opportunities.

[9] Sudden Oak Death Webinar
Friday, November 17, 6:00 PM
https://surveys.ucanr.edu/survey.cfm?surveynumber=41726

The Sudden Oak Death (SOD) Blitz Survey Project enlists and trains volunteers to conduct a yearly statewide survey for the presence of plant symptoms associated with the disease. The citizen-scientist volunteers collect symptomatic foliage in their local communities that is then tested at U.C. Berkeley. The results of the 2023 SOD Blitz Survey are complete! There are some very interesting findings from this year which will be discussed an online webinar. Register by clicking on the link above. More information about the SOD Blitz project can be found here: https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/?page_id=148

[10] Habitat Restoration - French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, November 18, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Cathedral Oaks, Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=856926

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Cathedral Oaks, a closed area of Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[11] Habitat Restoration - French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, November 18, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Teague Hill Open Space Preserve
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=856930

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Teague Hill Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we are removing French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[12] Happiness is Cleanup Shaped! - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Sunday, November 19, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/happiness-is-cleanup-shaped-registration-732498943057

Fun with a purpose! Bring, friends, family, and your grouchy neighbor to see how transformative this experience can be for them and the trail! Help us beautify Coyote Creek and surrounding trails while hanging out with some really cool people. Show your kindness by wearing heart-themed garb!

[13] Volunteer Restoration Workday at Redwood Creek - by Peninsula Open Space Trust and Grassroots Ecology
Sunday, November 19, 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Location: Redwood Creek - Main St and Veterans Blvd Redwood City, CA 94063
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/volunteer-restoration-workday-at-redwood-creek-tickets-736703037617

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust and Grassroots Ecology for this unique group volunteer event restoring Redwood Creek. Volunteers will be beautifying the shore and supporting sensitive habitat areas along Redwood Creek. Volunteers will remove large invasive plants, pick up trash, and add a fresh layer of wood chips to our restoration areas in order to reduce water loss and suppress weeds. This stretch of creek is a short distance from the San Francisco Bay, and this maintenance will help prevent trash from persisting in the waterway. This event will involve using hand tools, lifting and carrying buckets, bending, and walking on uneven terrain.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.