Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - January 16, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Jan 16, 2024, 1:06:31 PMJan 16
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, January 19, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3282/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

Contact Friday leader Paul Heiple at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

Sturdy gloves are recommended; you might also want to bring sunscreen, water, a hat, layered clothing and wear long sleeves/pants. Location varies - join the email group to receive weekly notices.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, January 20, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298243309/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden". Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, January 20, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park, 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298244697/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park, San Jose. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided.

First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Seed and Cutting Exchange + Plant Sale Pickup
Sunday, January 21, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center - 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298507459/

The Seed and Cutting Exchange in November was so popular, we're holding another one! Are you a gardener on a budget? Do you like growing things "from scratch"? This is your opportunity to share and receive seeds and cuttings of native plants. Since it's planting season, you'll also have an opportunity to pick up pre-purchased plants from the CNPS SCV Nursery and Grassroots Ecology's Nursery.

11:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Plant pickup from the online sales at CNPS SCV Nursery and Grassroots Ecology's Nursery
12:00 PM - 2:00  PM - Seed and Cutting Exchange

Bring native plant material from your own garden to share. Label it to make it easy to browse; some gardeners attach helpful hints about growing; others display photos of plants in bloom. Keep cuttings cool and moist in a bucket of water. We will provide coin envelopes for seeds, but bring containers to carry cuttings home. You will have a chance to show and tell what you brought. Don't have native material to share? No problem; there is usually enough for all.

Free seeds and information from the CNPS SCV Wildflower Ambassadors! We will also have books and t-shirts available for sale, including copies of the hard-to-find Seed Propagation of Native California Plants by Dara Emery and California Native Plants for the Garden by Carol Bornstein, David Fross, Bart O'Brien.

Pickup for the online plant sales from the CNPS SCV Nursery and Grassroots Ecology's Nursery will be available starting at 11:00 AM.

We need help with this event! Sign up for a shift: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F49A9A729AAFD0-46904115-seed#/

[5] Beautiful California Biodiversity, a talk by Lynne Trulio, Ph.D.
Thursday, January 25, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298514244/

We share the Earth with millions of other species. But our planet is experiencing a biodiversity crisis in which a significant portion of these species are in danger of extinction in the coming decades. This loss of species – which is caused by human activities – is a tragedy for the Earth's ecology and non-human inhabitants, but will also have significant impacts on human societies. In this talk, we will discuss the causes of the current biodiversity crisis, with a focus on California biodiversity. We will discuss which species are most endangered, what we can do to try to limit the loss of species, and efforts underway in our region to preserve our local biodiversity, especially endangered plants, invertebrates and animal species.

Dr. Lynne Trulio is a professor and former chair of the Department of Environmental Studies at San José State University. Her research investigates human impacts on species and habitats, especially public access impacts to wildlife and the ecology and preservation of the western burrowing owl (Athene cunicularia) in California.

[6] Greeters needed for library talk
Thursday, January 25, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Lynne Trulio will be speaking at the Cupertino library on California biodiversity. We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, January 18, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve - LH07 Habitat Restoration
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=863965

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at La Honda Creek Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this species from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[8] Spanish Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, January 18, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve - Jacques Ridge
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=877063

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive Spanish broom at Jacques Ridge in Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove French broom from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[9] BioBlitz at Kelley Park - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, January 20, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Location: Kelley Park (Disc Golf Course Area) - 740 Phelan Ave San Jose
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bioblitz-at-kelley-park-registration-772476817957

A BioBlitz is an event that focuses on finding and identifying as many species as possible in a specific area over a short period of time. At a BioBlitz, scientists, families, students, teachers, and other community members work together to get an overall count of the plants, animals, fungi, and other organisms that live in a place.

Located in the heart of San Jose, the park we will be at is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals right along Coyote Creek. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful, BioBlitz Club and Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society in cataloging and documenting all of the wildlife that reside there. We will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.

[10] What's in a Name? Redwoods - by Midpen
Saturday, January 20, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Thornewood Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/whats-name-redwoods

More binomial nomenclature, anyone? Join Docent Naturalists Frances Reneau and Helena Cohen for another deep dive into plant names. The focus of this leisurely-paced hike will be the ferns and forbs in the deep shade of Sequoia sempervirens. Walk along the Shilling Lake and Bridle trails while learning about who gave these plants their names, what they mean, and why it matters. Why not just say "redwood"?

[11] French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Saturday, January 20, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve - Water Tank Hill
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=872075

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French broom at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.