Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - December 6, 2022

CNPS-SCV News

Dec 6, 2022, 3:38:11 PM12/6/22
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, December 10, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsydcqbnb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[2] Coastal Walk at Cowell-Purisima Trail - by Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST)
Thursday, December 8, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coastal-walk-at-cowell-purisima-trail-tickets-473641834477

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust for a beautiful walk along the Cowell-Purisima trail that POST helped create by protecting adjacent farmland. While it may be foggy, we hope to catch gorgeous views of the ocean, nearby farmland, and glimpses of harbor seals, pelicans, hawks, rabbits, and whales during the winter season.
You will be guided by POST ambassadors who will share details about POST’s work with farmers on the coast, and to create recreational opportunities along one of the most scenic stretches of our state's coastline! The walk is moderate at about 4.5 miles round trip with about 400 feet of gradual elevation gain. It is mostly flat throughout, however, it is quite a long walk.
To sign up, please complete the Eventbrite form (link provided above).

[3] BioBlitz at Alum Rock Park - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Sunday, December 11, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bioblitz-at-alum-rock-park-registration-453993896967

Located in the Eastern Foothills of San Jose, the park we will be at is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals right along Penitencia Creek that flows into Coyote Creek. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz.club in cataloging and documenting all of the living things that reside there. We will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.
The best part? All you need to participate is a smart phone with the iNaturalist app! So bring your family and prepare for an in-depth tour of this great park.
Hosted by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful & the BioBlitz.club
Supported by the City of San Jose

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.