Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 27, 2024

CNPS-SCV News

Feb 27, 2024, 11:56:12 AMFeb 27
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Native Plant ID
Tuesday, February 27, 7:00 PM - Tonight!
Location: Raptor Suite, Peninsula Conservation Center (PCC), 3921 E. Bayshore Road, Palo Alto
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299085251/

Native Plant ID (formerly Keying with Natives) is a Chapter group that works together to learn plant identification using botanical keys and other resources. Join us as we look at plant samples collected from local gardens and practice methods of identifying the native plants of our region. Bring in plant samples if you have some from a property where you have permission to collect or just come and work with the materials provided. We use the current edition of The Jepson Manual as well as other plant guides, and we have copies to share. If you have them, bring your own favorite guide and a hand lens. Microscopes will also be available.

This session will focus on manzanita identification. The session will start with a slide presentation focusing on manzanita ID. Attendees will then break up into groups with some people working on manzanita keying. Those who are interested in a more general skills workshop can look at samples to study examples of some of the general characteristics that were presented last month. Attendees are welcome to bring examples of manzanita species (not hybrids) or general flowering plant samples to look at the flower and leaf characteristics that were discussed last month.

The group meets at 7:00 PM on the fourth Tuesday of each month.

For more information please contact Janet Hoffmann at janet @ cnps-scv.org.

[2] Edgewood Restoration
Friday, March 1, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.cnps-scv.org/events/calendar/eventdetail/3288/-/friday-edgewood-restoration

The Edgewood Weed Warriors operate under a permit issued to the Friends of Edgewood. They meet regularly to remove invasive plants at Edgewood Park and Natural Preserve, thereby allowing for greater biodiversity, natural habitats, and those beautiful wildflower displays that everyone enjoys.

The Weed Warriors normally meet at 9:00 AM on Friday throughout the year and on Wednesday afternoons during daylight savings time. Special sessions may be added with notice given at the beginning of the month.

Notice of the meeting location and time for each session is sent to the Weed Warrior email group each week - do not go to the park and expect to find the weeding group if you are not on the email list. If you wish to be added to the Weed Warriors email, contact the Weed Warrior program coordinator, Paul Heiple, at weed-warriors-coord @ friendsofedgewood.org. New weeders must fill out forms before they come out. Contact vc @ friendsofedgewood.org for the form to fill out.

[3] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, March 2, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Location: Native Garden Parking Lot, Lake Cunningham - 2305 S White Road, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299006362/

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next. First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Wear a hat, gloves, and sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time. First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[4] Habitat Restoration at Cataldi Park
Saturday, March 2, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Location: Cataldi Park - 2900 Cataldi Dr, San Jose
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/299138927/

Join us to restore habitat in Cataldi Park. We are planting and maintaining native plants in a 1/4 acre area of the park off Bethany Ave. Over 600 plants have been planted so far. Wear a hat and garden shoes and bring plenty of water to stay hydrated. Work gloves will be provided. First-timers: Please bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Insect and Plant Identification Walk
Sunday, March 3, 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: Woods Trail, Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/298975323/

Plants and insects are at the very bottom of the food chain – all higher forms of life depend on them for survival. An intact native plant habitat supports a diverse insect population, which in turn feeds amphibians, reptiles, birds, small mammals and other animals. Learn to identify the common native plants and insects of our area with California naturalists Karan Gathani and Arvind Kumar on a guided walk through Sierra Azul Open Space Preserve, the largest and southernmost preserve in the Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District.

We will hike the Woods Trail with spectacular views of Mt Hamilton and the valley floor. Expect to see coast live oak, madrone, California bay, bigleaf maple, buckeye, bigberry manzanita, toyon, coffeeberry, cream bush, chamise, mountain mahogany, and sticky monkeyflower. We may encounter butterflies, bees, beetles, grasshoppers, flies, spiders and ants.
The elevation gain is 600 ft; the distance covered is 5.4 miles round trip.

All interested in plant and insect identification are welcome; prior knowledge of botany or entomology is helpful but not required.

Wear good walking/hiking shoes. Bring a sack lunch and plenty of fluids. Drinking water is not available in the preserve. We also suggest bringing a hat, sunscreen; and optionally, a hand lens and smartphone camera. We expect to return to the parking lot by 2:00pm.

RSVPs will open up one week before the event. RSVP is required to join us for the hike. Space is limited. No drop-ins please.

We'll meet at the Woods Trail trailhead, which is at the Sierra Azul Parking Lot at Jacques Ridge.

[6] Greeters needed for library talk
Thursday, January 25, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Cupertino Library Program Room (2nd floor), 10800 Torre Ave, Cupertino
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-library#/

Patricia Evans will be speaking at the Cupertino library on "Easy to Grow Native Plants". We need two greeters for this event.

Worry not, if you are new to doing this! You will have an experienced volunteer with you to assist you. The responsibilities of the greeters are - staff the welcome table and answer basic questions about CNPS, if attendees have any. Tables, chairs and CNPS literature will be provided.
Please sign up on the link above if interested. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

[7] Blazing Star Mailing Party
Tuesday, April 23, 9:00 AM - 2:30 PM
Location: Peninsula Conservation Center, 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090F49A9A729AAFD0-46821178-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the May-June 2024 newsletter. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. No prior experience is necessary. Snacks, drinks and tales of our CNPS adventures will be provided. So, join us for a few hours of doing some easy tasks while enjoying the camaraderie of fellow CNPS folks.

The mailing party will be held at the Raptor suite meeting room downstairs, at the Peninsula Conservation Center.

Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. Questions? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[8] Morning Meander: Up for Flowers - by Midpen
Wednesday, February 28, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Location: Pulgas Ridge Preserve
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/morning-meander-flowers-0

Take a wildflower treasure hunt with Docent Naturalists Laura Levin, Marie-Anne Neimat, and Emma Finter in a preserve known for its rich display of wildflowers. On this leisurely-paced hike along the Cordilleras, Polly Geraci, Dick Bishop, and Blue Oak trails, you'll search for early spring wildflowers and other interesting features while stopping frequently to share botanical discoveries. If the timing is right, you might even get to see the uniquely weird blossoms of the fetid adder's tongue.

[9] Habitat Restoration: French Broom Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 29, 9:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Bear Creek Redwoods Preserve - Alma Trail
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=881806

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive French Broom at Bear Creek Redwoods Open Space Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[10] Habitat Restoration: Spurge Removal - by Midpen
Thursday, February 29, 9:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Location: Los Trancos Preserve - Gate 01
https://volunteer.openspace.org/need/detail/?need_id=883476

Join Midpen staff for a fun workday removing invasive Mediterranean Spurge a Los Trancos Gate 01 in Los Trancos Preserve. Staff will provide training on plant identification, removal techniques, and information about why we want to remove this plant from our local landscape. This project is an excellent opportunity for first-time volunteers!

[11] Return to the Ridge: A Virtual Adventure! - by Open Space Authority
Friday, March 1, 12:00 PM - 12:45 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/return-to-the-ridge-a-virtual-adventure-tickets-837970340847

Join us as we take a virtual dive into the rare and unique ecosystem that thrives at Máyyan ‘Ooyákma – Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve. You'll get to learn about the plants and animals that call this preserve home as well as how you can help protect it the next time you visit.

Please note that this event will be hosted virtually through Zoom and a separate Zoom sign-up link will be automatically sent to all attendees in the order confirmation. The presentation will also be recorded and posted later on the Open Space Authority's YouTube channel.

[12] Early March Guided Hikes at Máyyan ‘Ooyákma! - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, March 2, 12:30 PM - 3:30 PM
Sunday, March 3, 10:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Sunday, March 3, 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Máyyan 'Ooyákma – Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve - 9611 Malech Road Morgan Hill.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/early-march-guided-hikes-at-mayyan-ooyakma-tickets-808428881547

Máyyan ‘Ooyákma - Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve features serpentine grasslands which provide refuge for a wide variety of rare plants and wildlife, some of which have teetered on the edge of extinction. On these guided hikes visitors will learn about the native wildflower blooms and the rare Bay checkerspot butterfly population found within the preserve!

This guided hike will be three miles long and have over 500 ft of elevation gain as we hike up the Bay Checkerspot Trail to the first overlook and then back down the same way. Comfortable hiking shoes are recommended.

To help protect this sensitive and unique ecosystem, in March, April, and May the trails will be open by reservation only on Saturdays and Sundays. During this time, the public must sign up here for a docent-led hike to access the Bay Checkerspot trail, the Tule Elk Trail, and the Serpentine Spring Trail.

[13] Help needed to conduct SOD blitzes
March 15 to June 30
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/?page_id=2495
https://nature.berkeley.edu/matteolab/

Sudden Oak Death (SOD), a serious exotic disease, is threatening the survival of tanoak and several oak species in California. Currently SOD is found in the wildlands of 14 coastal California counties, from Monterey to Humboldt. While patchy in distribution, with each passing year, the swath of infection continues to become more contiguous.

Dr. Matteo Garbelotto, Director of the U.C. Berkeley Forest Pathology and Mycology Laboratory, is seeking the help of the community to study the extent of SOD in our local forests.

SOD blitzes inform and educate the community about Sudden Oak Death, get locals involved in detecting the disease, and produce detailed local maps of disease distribution. The map can then be used to identify those areas where the infestation may be mild enough to justify proactive management. Several government agencies and local land owners rely on the results of the SOD Blitzes to make important decisions.

Each area/county selects a preferred weekend (or couple of days midweek) to run the local blitz between March 15 and June 30. However, more than one blitz per week can be managed, if need be. A Friday/Saturday to Tuesday event is recommended, (but again, you are free to be as creative as you want or need to be). The activity will be organized similar to the previous two years. This involves online registration and training, and then pick up and return of materials at local SOD Blitz stations that are normally manned for two hours, the very first day of each Blitz. Return by mail can also be arranged.

So, if you have been an organizer of a SOD Blitz last year, or you would like to organize one in the spring, now is the time to pick your preferred dates for the 2024 SOD Blitzes. Please pick the best and the second best option for your local blitz event. Write down your two choices in an email and send it to matteog @ berkeley.edu . Please write 2024 SOD BLITZ DATES in the subject line.

Questions?  Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetup, and Instagram.