Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - February 14, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Feb 14, 2023, 8:54:11 PM2/14/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
From all of us here at the CNPS Santa Clara Valley Chapter, wish you a very happy Valentine's Day. Thank you for the love you have shown us over the years.

Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] People, Places and Plants (1982 - 2002), a talk by Ken Himes
Friday, February 17, 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/291276898/

Our Chapter of CNPS has a rich history of field trips throughout our state to learn, understand and appreciate our native flora. This presentation is a slightly expanded version of the one Ken Himes gave on October 8 at our Chapter's 50th year anniversary celebration. In considering what to discuss on October 8, Ken wanted to answer the question of what Chapter activities drew him in as a new member in the 1980s. The answer was field trips!

Ken will highlight some trips to the Arnold Ranch with Dr. Carl Sharsmith, to Mount Hamilton; San Benito Mountains / Clear Creek Serpentines with Bart O'Brien; a Death Valley trip in 1993 arranged by Brenda Butner; and some of our first field trips to Edgewood County Park and Preserve.

Before Ken's talk, we'll also recognize Georgia Stigall as our 2022 Outstanding Volunteer! The meeting will be hybrid.

Physical location: Los Altos Library, Orchard Room, 13 So. San Antonio Road, Los Altos.
Zoom (preregistration required): https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvdumhqjktH9N3_ZVbjnn-mCy2x_kiiTLc

Directions to the Los Altos Library: From Foothill Expy., travel 1/2 mile on San Antonio Rd. towards the Bay, cross Hillview and turn right into the driveway; the library is on the left. From El Camino, travel towards the hills on San Antonio Rd., cross Edith and turn left into the unmarked driveway just before Hillview. The sign on San Antonio Rd. reads "Civic Center, Library and History Museum." Enter through the lobby of the main entrance.

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, February 18, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcdbxb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Request for White Sage leaves and stems from your *home* gardens - a message from the organizers of Cali Night and the Aztec Dancers of Calpulli Tonalehqueh
Saturday-Sunday, February 18-19
https://www.aztecadancers.com/mexica-new-year
https://www.facebook.com/events/453347210053065

The Mexica New Year is going to be celebrated in Emma Prusch Park in San Jose from March 10-12. In the Aztec Mexica new year, during the ceremony, we provide giveaways to our special guests which includes white sage for cleansing when they return home. Because we have realized the issues around the over-harvesting of white sage in southern California, we have decided to seek out help within our own community for white sage being grown in Bay Area gardens. We are expecting guests from throughout the United States and Mexico that are descendants of the Aztec people, and members of the local indigenous tribes such as the Muwekma Ohlone, the Amah Mutsun, the Pomo, and the Bear dancers of the Sierra Miwok tribes.
If you can harvest white sage from your home gardens and bring it this weekend to either a location in Palo Alto or Santa Clara, please email cnpsradhika @ gmail.com for the address. We appreciate your native plant gardens in our urban cities.

[4] Blazing Star Mailing Party
Thursday, February 23, 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the March-April 2023 newsletter. We are still short of a few people to help out for the morning shift. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. Snacks and drinks will be provided. The mailing party will be held at the chapter's office at the Peninsula Conservation Center, located at 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303.

Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. For COVID-safety, the room will be kept ventilated by leaving the windows and doors open. Please dress warmly. We will wear masks when we are not grabbing a bite to eat. Please sign up only if your COVID vaccinations are up-to-date.

[5] Horticulture Scholarship applications are open
https://www.cnps-scv.org/education/scholarships/32-scholarships/390-horticulture-scholarship

This Horticulture Scholarship is open to any community college horticulture student who attends an accredited college in our Chapter area or lives in our Chapter area and attends an accredited college anywhere, is currently enrolled, and has taken (or is taking) a California native plant class as part of their horticulture program. The scholarship amount is $750 and will be awarded to one student annually. The scholarship is intended to help with scholastic expenses such as books and tuition.

Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2023. For more details, and for instructions on how to apply, please click on the link above.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[6] Signs of Early Spring - by Midpen
Wednesday, February 15, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/signs-early-spring
Location: Pulgas Ridge Preserve

Join docent Naturalists Liz Foreman and Mike Lohr to explore for signs that spring arrives soon. You'll view early blooming wildflowers and observe trees with berries and nuts while traveling the Blue Oak and Dick Bishop trails. Enjoy views along the ridge top on this moderately-paced round trip outing with an elevation gain of over 600 feet.

Meet at the Pulgas Ridge Parking Area on Edmonds Rd. From I-280, exit Edgewood Road.  Drive 0.75 miles on Edgewood Rd. toward San Carlos/Redwood City. Turn left (north) on Crestview Drive, then immediately turn left on Edmonds Road. Follow Edmonds Rd. to the preserve parking lot entrance on the right.

[7] Explorer Hike: Lichens 101 - by Midpen
Wednesday, February 15, 2023 10:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.openspace.org/events/guided-activities/explorer-hike-lichens-101
Location: Long Ridge Preserve

Enjoy learning lichen basics on this moderately-paced hike with Docent Naturalists Kate Bauer, Mary Brunkhorst, and Dennis Smith. You'll gain about 500 feet of elevation as you hike a loop on the Peters Creek and Long Ridge trails while you look for lichens and learn to identify several of the most common.

Meet at Peters Creek Roadside Parking, on the west side of Skyline Boulevard, 3.6 miles north of Highway 9 or 3.3 miles south of Page Mill Road.  If you are coming from the north on Skyline Blvd., the pullout is just past Portola Heights Road on the right.  From the south, the pullout is near the Palo Alto city limits sign on the right. There is additional parking across Skyline Blvd. at the Grizzly Flat trailhead (Santa Clara County Park).

[8] Drought Tolerant Native Plants for Pollinators
Thursday, February 16, 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/drought-tolerant-native-plants-for-pollinators
Presented by: Matthew Shepherd, The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation

The Environmental Learning Center presents a FREE Workshop Series for anyone interested in home gardening for wildlife and water quality. Learn how to garden with less water, manage too much stormwater, and generally provide a healthier habitat for birds, pollinating insects, and more.

Despite its reputation for being wet and gray, we live and garden in a region that has naturally dry summers, conditions that are being exacerbated by global warming. Join Matthew Shepherd of the Xerces Society to discover drought-tolerant plants that can add resilience to your landscape in the face of changing weather patterns, as well as support bees and other pollinators.

[9] Coastal Walk at Pillar Point Bluff - by Peninsula Open Space Trust (POST)
Saturday, February 18, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/coastal-walk-at-pillar-point-bluff-tickets-524104178707

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust for a beautiful walk at Pillar Point Bluff just north of Half Moon Bay! You will be guided by POST ambassadors who will share details about the area's interesting natural history, from the coastal scrub habitat to the Fitzgerald Marine Preserve which hosts tide pools and breeding grounds for harbor seals. The walk is moderate at about 2.5 miles round-trip with about 300 feet of gradual elevation gain.

[10] Ulistac Natural Area - Santa Clara
Sunday, February 19, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM
http://www.ulistac.org/volunteer

Extra Work Sessions Coming to Your Favorite Open Space!
Did your parents tell you not to play in the dirt or get your shoes muddy? Here's your chance to rebel! We are adding extra work sessions after great rain and now fine weather. Donated elderberries need to get into the ground... a simple and effective way to combat climate change. Only steady rain cancels. Wear sturdy shoes for digging, drinks and snacks will be provided. Community service hours welcome!

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.