Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 5, 2022

CNPS-SCV News

Apr 6, 2022, 12:36:43 AM4/6/22
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, April 9, 8:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/California-Native-Plant-Society-Santa-Clara-Valley-Chapter/events/qvfrpsydcgbmb/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose.

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 10-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/2020-volunteer-status-and-waiver-of-liability.pdf

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[2] Bloom! Bouquet Bash
April 1 - 30
https://bloomcalifornia.org/public-events/

This April, CNPS invites you to celebrate National Native Plant Month and California Native Plant Week (April 16-23) by visiting Bloom! California partner nurseries and taking home beautiful native plants that will flower for years to come. For this special month, we're also bringing the flowers right to you with free floral arranging activity stations!

At the partner nurseries listed on the link above, you'll be able to craft and take home your very own beautiful native plant bud vases with pre-cut stems (while supplies last). What a great little date for a parent and child, a treat for yourself, or an excuse for gardening buddies to go shopping!

Grassroots Ecology, the nursery based on Los Altos Hills is participating in this event on April 15, from 12 PM - 2 PM.

Already grow native plants? Join the fun and create your own native plant arrangements. We encourage everyone to share their Bloom! Bouquet Bash creations using the hashtag #BloomBouquetBash. All submissions will appear on the Bloom! California website.

[3] Another Visit with the Wandering Gardener
April 6 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/another-visit-with-the-wandering-gardener

In 2019, as a prelude to the Water-Wise and Habitat-Friendly Garden Tour, Kathy LaShure gave a presentation about the newly completed transformation of their west-side Chico home landscape. The same scenario will happen this year with an updated and renamed repeat of her program. Then on May 1, 2022 you will be able to visit this garden and 7 other private gardens plus 2 public spaces.
Kathy’s program covers the process of designing and then installing a nearly complete landscape makeover.

[4] Naturehood Gardening 101: Nursery Shopping
April 7 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/naturehood-gardening-101-nursery-shopping

With the beginning of Spring, flowers starting to bloom, and warmer temperatures, now is the time that many folks go to their local nursery and find plants for their space. In this webinar, Nicole Calhoun, co-owner of Los Angeles's Artemisia Nursery, will take a deep dive into how to navigate nurseries and equip you with tips and tricks to help you plan and execute an effective nursery visit.

[5] What can pressed plants tell us about the past, present, and future of California’s Flora?
April 7 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
https://www.cnps.org/event/what-can-pressed-plants-tell-us-about-the-past-present-and-future-of-californias-flora

Former McLeod scholarship recipient Dr. Natalie Love will be joining us to talk about pressed plants and the importance of herbaria. California’s herbaria house more than two million preserved, pressed plant specimens. Collectively, these specimens provide a wealth of valuable information about the California flora. They can tell us about the past history and the current distribution of plants in California as well as provide us with a way to predict how climate change will affect plant species in the future. In this talk, Natalie will discuss the importance of herbaria as well as highlight her own research in which she used herbarium specimens of the charismatic mountain jewel flower (Streptanthus tortuosus, Brassicaceae) to study the impact of climate change on the flowering time of this species.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on Facebook, Meetup, Instagram, and Twitter.