Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - January 24, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Jan 24, 2023, 5:15:48 PM1/24/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Photo Group Meeting
Friday, January 27, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/bpbbtsyfccbkc/
Location: This is a virtual meeting on Zoom.

This month's CNPS SCV Photography Group meeting will start with a presentation by Valentina Lyau. She is a mechanical engineer by day and a macrophotographer on the side. Valentina will show us some of her stunning pictures of plants and insects along with the techniques she used to capture them. See more of her images on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/tetracerus_macro/

The meeting will conclude with our usual photo sharing activity. Anyone who has pictures of their adventures to share can participate! You don't have to share photos to join - folks who just want to see pictures and hear photo tips are welcome. Register at the link below for the next meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-iqqzMpGNzp2osMkgoP48j7WucbIPnS
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with a zoom link for the meeting.

If you have pictures to share, sign up for a slot. Share your pictures, techniques, and ideas from your desktop via Zoom. Slots are 20 minutes each; plan your photos and discussions accordingly. Presenters receive a 1-minute-remaining alert. Sign up for a slot at the link below:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-cnps18

To participate in other Photography Group activities, join the email list:
https://groups.io/g/CNPS-SCV-Photography

[2] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, January 28, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfccblc/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot

Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[3] Blazing Star Mailing Party
Thursday, February 23, 9:30 AM - 2:30 PM
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-blazing#/

The chapter's newsletter, the Blazing Star, is sent electronically to all its members every two months. These days, the chapter does not usually send out paper copies. But when we do, we need all the help we can get to prepare them for mailing.

Our next paper copy is going to be the March-April 2023 newsletter. Help is required to label and stamp the copies, as well as to set up and clean up the room. Snacks and drinks will be provided. The mailing party will be held at the chapter's office at the Peninsula Conservation Center, located at 3921 E Bayshore Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303.

Please sign up for a task by using the SignupGenius link above. For COVID-safety, the room will be kept ventilated by leaving the windows and doors open. Please dress warmly. We will wear masks when we are not grabbing a bite to eat. Please sign up only if your COVID vaccinations are up-to-date.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[4] Land Stewards: Trail Build at Máyyan 'Ooyákma - Coyote Ridge OSP - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, January 28, 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/o/open-space-authority-767526337

The Open Space Authority is excited to welcome the public and regular volunteers to this Land Steward event to help us create just over 1 mile of a new hiking trail segment at Máyyan 'Ooyákma – Coyote Ridge Open Space Preserve. Under the direction of our field staff and with the support of our expert Trail Master volunteers, we will use hand tools to create a new segment of hiking trail that ascends from the valley floor up to Coyote Ridge.

[5] New Year. New Litter. Same Places. Fresh Faces. - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Sunday, January 29, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/new-year-new-litter-same-places-fresh-faces-registration-476760693067

Spend a few hours and help us work together for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup. Come celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

Each group of 25 people will be directed to different areas of the park to maintain the safety of all volunteers. To help with social distancing and to ensure that everyone who attends is registered, the location will be provided after registration is complete.

[6] Afternoon Hike at Mindego Hill - by POST
Sunday, January 29, 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
https://openspacetrust.org/event/hike-mindego-hill/

Join Peninsula Open Space Trust for a beautiful 5-mile hike from the Russian Ridge Open Space Preserve to the top of the POST-protected Mindego Hill. You will be guided by POST ambassadors who will share details about how we protected this beautiful property featuring panoramic views of redwood ridges and undulating hillsides.

The hike is strenuous at about 5 miles round trip with about 1,000 feet of elevation gain, so be prepared for a workout! Athletic wear and sturdy shoes are recommended! If you’d like to bring your own hiking poles, you're more than welcome.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.

For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.