Upcoming CNPS SCV Events and Activities - April 25, 2023

CNPS-SCV News

Apr 25, 2023, 5:12:47 PM4/25/23
to CNPS-SCV News
Dear friends,
Check out our chapter's upcoming events:

[1] Gardening for Habitat - a talk by Arvind Kumar
Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM - Tonight!
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/293050916/

Why do we garden? Is it only for beauty and to enhance the curb appeal of houses? Or does the garden also play a role in the local ecology? More people are coming to realize that our yards can provide sustenance to wildlife, from butterflies to birds and more, without sacrificing aesthetics. A yard landscaped with well-chosen native plants can look beautiful while also providing unparalleled habitat value. Join speaker Arvind Kumar to learn the basics of habitat gardening and which native plants in our area are particularly suited for attracting birds and butterflies. A plant list will be available.

A software engineer by training, Arvind Kumar has been growing native plants in his San Jose home garden for 22 years. He coordinates volunteer workdays at the 2-acre Native Garden in Lake Cunningham Park. He is a board member and former president of our chapter.

Please note that this talk is in-person only. It will not be recorded or live-streamed.

[2] Wildflower Mimicry by Barnali Ghosh
Wednesday, April 26, 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM
Location: Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District offices, Board Room
5050 El Camino Real, Los Altos

Co-sponsored by Midpen and the CNPS Santa Clara Valley chapter
In 2021, Berkeley-based designer Barnali Ghosh started a new pandemic project: taking photographs of herself dressed as California native flowers, centering the brown body and using South Asian fabrics and dance forms. The images took the native plant world by storm. Ghosh will share the backstory of these viral images, and how the project helped her find belonging in the native plant community and beyond.

Barnali Ghosh is an immigrant artist, landscape architect, and co-founder of the award-winning Berkeley South Asian Radical History Walking Tour. Her work attempts to bridge homes and homelands, and create spaces for belonging. Find her on instagram at @berkeleywali and www.barnalighosh.art
RSVP if possible to ykishimoto @ openspace.org for planning purposes.

[3] Photo Group Meeting
Friday, April 28, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/bpbbtsyfcgblc/

The chapter Photo Group meets via Zoom on 4th Fridays, 7:00 - 8:50 PM. In this supportive peer group, beginners and experts are equally welcome. Folks who just want to see pictures and hear photo tips are welcome too.

Register at the link below for the next meeting:
https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-iqqzMpGNzp2osMkgoP48j7WucbIPnS
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with a Zoom link for the meeting.

If you have pictures to share, sign up for a slot. Share your pictures, techniques, and ideas from your desktop via Zoom. Slots are 20 minutes each; plan your photos and discussions accordingly. Presenters receive a 1-minute-remaining alert. Sign up for a slot at the link below:
https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f49a9a729aafd0-cnps18

To participate in other Photography Group activities, join the email list:
http://www.cnps-scv.org/index.php/activities/photography-group

[4] Habitat Restoration at Lake Cunningham
Saturday, April 29, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
https://www.meetup.com/california-native-plant-society-santa-clara-valley-chapter/events/hmbqwsyfcgbmc/

VENUE: Native Garden Parking Lot
Join us to restore habitat (weeding and mulching) in the Native Garden at Lake Cunningham Park, San Jose. During the summer months, we remove invasives throughout the park. Meeting place may change from one week to the next.

First timers: please follow directions in this meetup to get to the native garden. It is a very large park (200 acres) with two entrances. You want to head to the Google map pin for "Lake Cunningham Native Garden".

We follow City of San Jose guidelines for volunteering during the pandemic: face covering and social distancing. Bring your own bucket and a weeding hoe (and knee pad, if you prefer that). Wear a face covering, hat, gloves, sturdy garden shoes. Bring plenty of fluids and hydrate often. We start with a 5-minute orientation, then walk to the site, so please be on time.

First-timers: Bring a signed waiver form available at https://lakecunninghamnativegarden.files.wordpress.com/2022/01/2021-volunteer-service-agreement-adoptapark-version.pdf

Workdays are sometimes rescheduled or canceled. Always RSVP to confirm, and check the latest updates Friday night. If you can't make it, please change your RSVP so we know and wait-listers get a chance.

[5] Integrated Pest Management - a talk by Frank Niccoli
Friday, May 5, 7:00 PM - 8:30 PM
Location: Los Altos Library, Orchard Room, 13 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos
(link coming soon)

To spray, or not to spray, that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous insects,
Or to take arms against a sea of aphids
And by spraying, end them.

The bard asks the same questions we ponder regarding pesticide use. Did you know that there is a method of pest control that is much safer for you and the environment?  Join Frank Niccoli for two tantalizing hours to learn about Integrated Pest Management.

Frank Niccoli has been a gardener for over 55 years. He has written the curriculum and teaches numerous classes at Foothill College.

Please note that this talk is in-person only. It will not be recorded or live-streamed.

[6] Greeters needed for the talk at Los Altos Library
Friday, May 5, 6:30 PM - 8:45 PM
Location: Los Altos Library, Orchard Room, 13 S. San Antonio Road, Los Altos

Frank Niccoli will be speaking at the Los Altos library on "Integrated Pest Management". We need two greeters for this event. The responsibilities of the greeter are - staff the welcome table, answer basic questions about CNPS if attendees have any and ask them to sign up on the sign-up sheet. Tables, chairs, sign-up sheets and CNPS literature will be provided. Interested? Contact Priya at: priya4cnps @ gmail.com.

Here are some events from other chapters and organizations:

[7] Sierra Vista ABC Hike Series: A for Aquila Loop - by Open Space Authority
Tuesday, April 25, 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sierra-vista-abc-hike-series-a-for-aquila-loop-tickets-620272530837
Location: Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve 5341 Sierra Road San Jose, CA 95132

Join the Open Space Authority for two guided hikes in one at Sierra Vista Open Space Preserve! First, we will hike the Aquila Trail, a 1.2-mile, gentle loop that is perfect for beginners, families, and those looking for a mellow nature experience. Then we will hike 1 mile along the Sierra Vista Trail to one of the best sunset lookouts in Silicon Valley!

[8] City Nature Challenge BioBlitz at Little Uvas Open Space Preserve - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, April 29, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-nature-challenge-bioblitz-at-little-uvas-open-space-preserve-tickets-590635726357
Location: Little Uvas Open Space Preserve 16541-16905 Uvas Road Morgan Hill, CA 95037

Discover the wonders of Little Uvas Open Space Preserve with us and join the annual City Nature Challenge! This event is an opportunity to explore the diversity of life in the preserve, from fungi, insects, and plants to reptiles, mammals, birds, and more.

Make sure to install the free iNaturalist app in advance, so we can share our observations in a project created specifically for this event. With iNaturalist, we'll be able to help each other identify the species we encounter and learn from each other's expertise.

[9] Mayor Matt's Inaugur-ACTION Cleanup - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful
Saturday, April 29, 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mayor-matts-inaugur-action-cleanup-registration-595064202047
Location: Watson Park 1098 Jackson St Dog Park San Jose, CA 95112

Spend a few hours to help Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful work together with the Mayor's office for a healthy creek while we beautify the Coyote Creek trail and the creek through a community cleanup. Come celebrate the Earth by improving the environment and enjoying nature!

[10] Springtime Exploration of Little Uvas Open Space Preserve! - by Open Space Authority
Saturday, April 29, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/springtime-exploration-of-little-uvas-open-space-preserve-tickets-590618625207
Location: Little Uvas Open Space Preserve 16541-16905 Uvas Road Morgan Hill, CA 95037

Spring is here and the flowers are blooming! Join the Open Space Authority for a springtime exploration at Little Uvas Open Space Preserve. This preserve offers about 2-miles of trail which go through gentle hills of serpentine soil, mixed oaks, grey pines, spring-fed pounds, and open meadows which offer a variety of unique native wildflowers. These hikes will be a great opportunity to explore a new place and learn a little more about native plants and ecosystems!

[11] BioBlitz at Almaden Quicksilver - by Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful, Bioblitz.club and Santa Clara Valley Audubon Society
Sunday, April 30, 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/bioblitz-at-almaden-quicksilver-registration-559060112847
Location: Almaden Quicksilver County Park, 19535 Mockingbird Hill Lane, Mockingbird Hill Ln entrance, San Jose, CA 95120

Located in the western part of San Jose, the Park is a safe haven for many species of plants and animals. Join Keep Coyote Creek Beautiful and BioBlitz.club in cataloging and documenting all of the living things that reside there. They will have experts in various fields to help guide participants through all the cool plants and wildlife.

[12] Bringing Back the Natives Garden Tour
Saturday and Sunday, May 6 and 7, 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
https://www.bringingbackthenatives.net

Join the Bringing Back the Natives Garden Tour and visit 55 beautiful and lush bird and butterfly friendly gardens throughout Alameda and Contra Costa counties. To register, and for more information, visit the link above.

Questions about any of the events? Do not reply to this email - instead, please direct your questions to: info @ cnps-scv.org.
For more information about chapter activities, be sure to check the latest Blazing Star and our chapter website - cnps-scv.org. We also recommend joining our Meetup group to receive a notification when we schedule new activities, including field trips.  Not a member of CNPS yet? Join here.

California Native Plant Society, Santa Clara Valley Chapter
Find us on the web at cnps-scv.org, and follow us on FacebookMeetupInstagram, and Twitter.