Monthly Newsletter 1.2

1 view

Community Nutrition Partnership

Mar 21, 2011, 11:01:04 PM3/21/11
to cnpme...@googlegroups.com

CNP Monthly Newsletter

Monday, March 21, 2011

Volume 1, Number 2

In This Issue

·    CNP Officially Tax-exempt

·    First Cooking Matters Class Graduated!

·    Volunteer Opportunities

·    Upcoming Committee Meetings

·    Local News and Events

Check us out online!

Seasonal Recipes

Check out our Seasonal Recipes and Local Food Resources

Donate Securely with PayPal

E-mail us if you want to donate supplies, food, cash or checks instead.

Volunteer

Learn more about volunteer opportunities with CNP including being a Chef or Nutritionist for Cooking Matters Classes

Cooking Matters

Learn about the cooking and nutrition classes offered by CNP.  Apply to be a host site or suggest a place we should be offering classes.

Contact Us

http://www.cnpnc.org

in...@cnpnc.org

Dear CNP Members and Friends,

Welcome to the second issue of the Community Nutrition Partnership newsletter.  In case you haven’t heard yet, March is National Nutrition Month and the theme for 2011 is “Eat Right with Color.”  Let the beautiful color variety of local fruits and vegetables inspire you to be creative with new seasonal recipes.  There is a lot in this month’s newsletter, but you can use the links on the left under “In This Issue” to navigate to a specific part of the newsletter.  You can also stay current with CNP happenings between newsletters by visiting our website or Facebook page.  We have highlighted updated sections on our website under “Check us out online!” (also on the left).  Thanks for reading!

CNP Officially Tax Exempt!

CNP was incorporated as a non-profit in North Carolina on July 29, 2009.  Since that date we have been working with the IRS to become a 501(c)3 Charitable Organization.  After over a year and half, we officially have our tax-exempt status.   This will allow us to apply for a greater range of grants and funding.  It also means that all of your current and past donations can officially be considered tax-exempt.  This includes ALL donations made after July 2009 and ALL future donations.

If you have been waiting to donate, there is no better time than the present.  If you already donated, you will be receiving an acknowledgement of your donation shortly.

We want to send a special thanks to Colin Shive, Sarah Lewis, Tom Kelley everyone at UNC’s Community Development Law Clinic who helped us to navigate this rather arduous process.

First Cooking Matters Class Graduated!

As many of you know, CNP has a partnership with the Inter-faith Food Shuttle in Raleigh to offer Cooking Matters classes.  Cooking Matters is a groundbreaking nutrition education program taught by professional chefs and nutritionists.  Our first class, Cooking Matters for Teens, took place at the South Estes Family Resource Center in Chapel Hill.  We graduated 8 enthusiastic students.

Students met weekly for 6 weeks to learn about nutrition and to practice hands-on cooking.   Every week students made 2-3 recipes and took ingredients with them to test their creations out at home.  The last class included a graduation ceremony where students received certificates, chefs’ hats, cutting mats, measuring cups and spoons, a set of wooden spoons and the Cooking Matters books with more nutrition info and more recipes to try.

Continue reading this article on our website.

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image009.jpg@01CBE7D4.38B218F0Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: cid:image010.jpg@01CBE7D4.38B218F0

View more photos of the S. Estes Cooking Matters for Teens Class on flickr

Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteer Coordinator

Enjoy meeting new cool people? As the volunteer coordinator you will be responsible for recruiting and maintaining contact with current volunteers.  You will get to know our chefs and nutritionists and help place them in the classes that would be best for them.  You will work with committee chairs to determine volunteer needs. This position requires an ongoing commitment of about 10 hours per month.  Please e-mail in...@cnpnc.org if you are interested.

Cooking Matters Nutritionist or Class Manager

What: Cooking Matters for Families Class

When: April 23rd- June 4th (7 Saturdays) 10:30 to 1:30

Where:  CHTOP's Family Resource Center at Dobbins Dr. http://chtop.org/Programs/FRC.html

How: Contact cordon...@gmail.com if you are interested in volunteering for this class.

Visit our website for more information on Cooking Matters classes and volunteer responsibilities.

Upcoming Committee Meetings

Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: C:\Users\Leone1\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\3F5CE446\MC900434804[1].png
Check out our calendar for more event info

Veggie-mobile Committee Meeting

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 @ 6:00 pm. at Foster’s Market in Chapel Hill

This committee will conduct market research and develop a pilot program to bring local organic fruits and vegetables to low-income neighborhoods.

E-mail lu...@cnpnc.org for more info or to RSVP

Partner and Producer Relations Committee

Tuesday, March 5, 2011 @6:30 pm. at Foster’s Market in Chapel Hill

This committee is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with our food suppliers and community partners.

Email sarah...@gmail.com for more info or to RSVP

Local News and Events

Food Symposium for Students

The UNC-Chapel Hill Food Cultures Program is excited to partner with UNC's Honors Program, the Department of English and Comparative Literature, and the American Studies Department to enhance Food Studies at Carolina.  The UNC Food Cultures Program sponsors extracurricular programs, including the First Annual Carolina Student Food Studies Symposium, Thursday evening, March 24-Friday, March 25, 9 AM-4 PM, at UNC's Institute for the Arts and Humanities (IAH). The symposium will highlight the research and scholarship of both undergraduate and graduate students in food studies.  Food Studies faculty from both UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke University will participate in the symposium as facilitators and commentators. The keynote lecturer for the inaugural symposium is Molly O'Neill, who will speak on Thurs., March 24, 7:30 PM at IAH.

Visit the Food Cultures website for more info.

Save the Date: Piedmont Farm Tour

Want to find out where your food comes from?  Come learn about the Triangle's local and organic farm & food scene. Meet local farmers & tour their beautiful farms!

Visit the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association website for more info.

image002.jpg
image008.png
image003.png
image004.jpg