how much i know of cniglic

mungo...@ixkey.info

Jan 7, 2008, 5:00:58 PM1/7/08
to cni...@googlegroups.com
[.aibu'onai] I've been meaning to make a list of how well I know the
words so far. [.e'ero'e] Here's where I'm at:

.ai - I've known this one very well for a while.
.au - Know it pretty well, only used it a little.
.a'a - One of the first ones I learned when I got back into Cniglic;
now I'm pretty good with it.
*** .a'e - I'm not sure what that means, really. Sort of. Awakeness? Hm.
.a'i - I've been using ".a'i" some lately, & ".a'inai" once or twice.
.a'o - Very familiar.
.a'u - Just the past week or two I've gotten clearer on this one,
since I taught it to the Cnglic community.
*** .ei - I use this regularly, but I'm not sure I understand it! Is
it like what Xorxes was talking about the imperativeness of the
e-series? I should ask about that.
.e'a - I understand it pretty well, but I don't often grant people permission.
.e'e - I thought I understood it, but lately I've had it clarified.
*** .e'i - Never used it!
.e'o - I've been familiar vaguely with ".e'o" ever since learning
".e'o ko sarji la lojban." back in the day so long ago, but it wasn't
until recently that I started using it.
.e'u - Somewhat clear on it I guess.
.ia - Definitely very familiar.
.ie - Yup, got that.
.ii - I've felt secure about ".ii" for a while, but I don't seem to
use it much at all, hmm.
.io - I'm not sure I mean what other people think I mean when I say
it, but I've got an idea anyway. ;)
.iu - Yep I know that.
*** .i'a - Not that clear, really.
*** .i'e - I guess I know what that means? It means approving of
something? I don't know why I don't feel confident in it totally.
.i'i - I've felt pretty clear on ".i'i" since there was a discussion
about it sometime, I think.
.i'o - I got the clue that this is useful for gratitude, and I've
started using it that way. I'm not really sure what else it does--
what's ".i'onai"?
*** .i'u - Sort of familiar, but not confident.
.oi - Yup.
.o'a - Pretty clear on the meaning but it's not in my active vocabulary.
*** .o'i - I guess I understand it, but I've never used it.
.o'e - I learned about that in the same conversation as ".i'i", I think.
.o'o - Very super clear since discussing it recently.
*** .o'u - Again I understand the meaning, but haven't actually used it.
.ua - Got it.
.ue - Knew that one a long time ago.
.ui - Yes yes yes.
.uo - A little more recent but very clear.
.uu - Yup, learned it compared with ".u'u" and I've been using it more lately.
*** .u'a - Rarely or never used.
.u'e - I've used it a few times, when I was looking for a word, but
I'm still not very familiar.
*** .u'i - I use this sometimes but I don't feel 100% sure what
feeling "amusement" is.
*** .u'o - I just had to look it up to remember what it even is. I'm
not sure why I haven't used it much yet.
.u'u - Got it, used it a bunch in the past few months.

That's about where I thought I was.

In my active vocab:

.ai .au .a'a .a'i .a'o
.a'u .ei .e'a .e'e .e'o
.e'u .ia .ie .ii .io
.iu .i'i .i'o .oi .o'a
.o'o .ua .ue .ui .uo
.uu .u'i .u'u

-- 28 words

In my passive vocab:

.a'e

-- oh i thought there'd be more

Not known:

.e'i .i'a .i'e .i'u .o'i
.o'e .o'u .u'a .u'e .u'o

-- the other 10.

So I've definitely made a fair amount of progress on learning them.
At least two thirds there. I'm going to start by getting a
clarification on ".ei" and maybe also on ".a'e". Maybe the ones on my
unknown list that seem clear to me already I could learn by teaching
them to the Cniglic lj community. ;)

> 3,
mungojelly

mungo...@ixkey.info

Jan 18, 2008, 5:01:35 AM1/18/08
to cni...@googlegroups.com
Quoting mungo...@ixkey.info:

> .e'i .i'a .i'e .i'u .o'i
> .o'e .o'u .u'a .u'e .u'o

I believe I have crossed the threshhold: I now know every one of the
39 scales, at least as far as remembering the keywords. Let's see how
I do on these:

.e'i

Imposes an obligation. Fits with the .e'X imperative series,
according to Xorxes. I basically just learned this one from Xorxes. :)

.i'a

This is acceptance/blame.

.i'e

Approval/disapproval.

.i'u

Familiarity/mystery.

.o'i

Caution/rashness.

.o'e

Closeness/distance. I remember a conversation a while back about the
distiction between zo .o'e and zo .i'i...

.o'u

Damn, having trouble with this one!

.u'a

Gain/loss.

.u'e

Wonder/commonplace.

.u'o

Courage/timidity, I'm pretty sure.

So hmm... .o'u...

It's weird, because I know that I've had many thoughts over the past
few weeks about zo .o'u, and I'm sure that earlier when I was able to
go through all 39 in my head I had some sort of association. Oh well.

Ah right! Relaxation/stress. I've been starting to learn about that
one the past few days. I actually posted about it to the lj group,
passing on my nonexistent knowledge.

But that's changing now! Last time I made a list zo .a'e stood alone
& it helped me to learn that; now I'm making another association with
zo .o'u.. I also associate it with when it's used in The Book to
demonstrate fu'i..

I feel like now I've hit the walls. I've definitely been over
Cniglic, I've learned the terrain. Now it's a matter of filling in
details. My Lojban has been much more attitudinal, & I've been
learning a lot from every time I see someone in Lojbanistan use an
attitudinal. I definitely think I'm becoming an effective expert in
this tiny subdiscipline I've defined.

I've started to practice going over the whole set in my mind:

Hey, I just now realized that there's only four outside of the patterns!!

See, I am noticing things of pedagogical importance! .ua.u'a

<3,
mungojelly