NELL source code

Johannes

Jun 22, 2011, 9:21:40 AM6/22/11
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
Dear NELL Team,

I'm a graduate student, currently working on research into knowledge
extraction from natural language texts. I came across a video of a
talk by Tom Mitchell at ISWC 2009, in which he mentions the NELL
project being open source. Now I was wondering, where to find the
source code of NELL, as it would be very interesting for me to take a
look into it regarding my research. Do any of you guys have more
information on this? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,

Johannes

Bryan Kisiel

Jun 23, 2011, 4:55:16 PM6/23/11
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
Hi Johannes,

At this point, it's only NELL's knowledge that is being open sourced.
The next step(s) we plan to take will be to offer APIs for accessing
NELL's knowledge base and for potential collaborators to get started on
building additional learning subcomponents that we could turn around and
integrate into the NELL system. We're far enough along to be able to
offer a modest Java API for this, and it would be nice if I could find the
time to set up something similar a web service as well.

But the full source for what we're running currently is still closer to a
prototype than anything that would be suitable for general release, and
there isn't much to speak of in the way or architectural or usage
documentation. If you've got questions about our technical approach,
though, feel free to ask away. That would probably be easier on all sides
than trying to navigate the source.

bki...@cs.cmu.edu

Jesper Lind

Jul 1, 2011, 10:41:36 PM7/1/11
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
An API sounds great! I can't wait to start playing around with the
data. At the moment I am downloading the files but its timeconsuming
to get the latest.

Fynder Enlil

Apr 28, 2017, 9:17:19 AM4/28/17
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
LEVAN NELL NEIL and WordNet / ImageNet can they working together?

I would have thought ImageNet and WordNet would make great repositories for this sort of data, particularly if you have two levels of supervision.

Consolidation in an Interface like Iris.ai would be a synergistic excise in the best cross-institutional co-operation. And accessible platform, that can be used by students. API is perfect. Look forward to seeing this development.

Stephen Mattin

Jul 26, 2017, 1:20:40 PM7/26/17
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
Is there a time frame for the Java API?

Is there any way to help getting around "it would be nice if I could find the
time to set up something similar a web service".

Ste...@Mattin.net

Bryan Kisiel

Aug 8, 2017, 11:00:19 AM8/8/17
to NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
Hi Stephen,

Plans have changed a bit since all the way back in 2011. What we wound up
doing is setting up GET-based web service that returns JSON responses,
which ideally provides a better level of decoupling between our ongoing
NELL run and other systems that might want to interact with it.

You can find the starting point too this by following the "Ask NELL" link
from the KB browser on our website:

https://rtw.ml.cmu.edu/rtw/kbbrowser/special:asknell

That page contains a simple demo of the kind of category prediction that
can be done with some calls to the underlying API, to which you can find a
link toward the bottom of the page. I also once came across this write-up
on using it, which you might find useful:

http://hplusmagazine.com/2013/09/28/hands-on-nell-never-ending-language-learner/

If there are other functionalities or modifications you'd particularly
like to see, feedback is always welcome, even if the only immediate effect
is to inform how to prioritize the avaialable man-hours.

bki...@cs.cmu.edu