RE: [cmunell] Digest for cmunell@googlegroups.com - 2 updates in 1 topic

Barry Robson

Sep 15, 2016, 12:48:42 PM9/15/16
to cmu...@googlegroups.com

Seems like a syllogism, though not exactly, but it seems that it would  for example,  imply the use of  a higher order “rule” in the Semantic Web,  a “metastatements” in Q-UEL, and an aspect of program as opposed to data in PROLOG, and so on. Perhaps what is needed here is to see how NELL stands on, or handles,  such matters.

Sep 27, 2016, 10:33:23 AM9/27/16
to 'Barry Robson' via NELL: Never-Ending Language Learner
It's another one of those things where started out with something easy and
obvious to get a prototype system up and runninng to see if we could get
something like NELL to work. In this case, arguably the principle
motivation was to use mutual exclusitivity between categories as an
additional constraint on the learning problem on the notion that coupling
different "modes" of constraints would solve what was expected to be an
otherwise underconstrained learning problem -- if more different "views"
of a possible representation of the world agree on what is true, then
that's a more reliable way to keep the learning on track.

In fact I don't think we really know for sure how important the
constraints imposed by using a hierarchical ontology are. NELL's current
ontology and use of it is so flawed that I'm tempted to guess that it's
not critically important afterall. However, I'm pretty sure we have yet
to see as good results come from the times when we've used ontologies that
are not very hierarchical. It's just not something anybody has
specifically analyzed, I suppose largely because what we do now is "good
enough" and so not terribly high on the list of interesting things to
revisit.

There's been some work on replacing many of NELL's unsophisticated hard
constraints with something more akin to jointly modelling many of them to
resolve conflicts among possible truths. But nothing that has yet made it
back into the system. I would expect improvements to come from that
direction.

bki...@cs.cmu.edu