nn4.v2 model released: LFW accuracy improved from 81.4% to 91.5%.

Brandon Amos

Jan 7, 2016, 6:56:48 PM1/7/16
to CMU-OpenFace, bre...@limsi.fr, Bartosz Ludwiczuk
Hi OpenFace users,

I'm happy to release our nn4.v2 model, which I've been tracking progress on
nn4.v2 uses the improved alignment technique that Hervé Bredin suggested
with improved training methods and slightly different model variations
by Bartosz Ludwiczuk.

On the LFW, the accuracy is improved from 81.4% to 91.5%, and
the ROC curve is:

has md5sum 71911baa0ac61b437060536f0adb78f4.

Be careful using nn4.v2 with existing features extracted with nn4.v1 because
the features are not compatible.
The master branch now uses nn4.v2 by default, but should be fully
backwards compatible with nn4.v1.

The only parameter in the API distinguishing between these
two models is `landmarkIndices` during alignment.
This parameter defaults to openface.AlignDlib.INNER_EYES_AND_BOTTOM_LIP
for backwards compatibility with nn4.v1 and should be set to
openface.AlignDlib.OUTER_EYES_AND_NOSE for nn4.v2.

More training images (over 500k) should further improve the network's accuracy.
Please contact me if you're able to collaborate with us and provide a dataset for training
an even more accurate model.

We're also looking into more sophisticated training techniques to improve the accuracy,
which are discussed in this mailing list thread:

-Brandon.