BUILDING THE FACE RECOGNITION ATTENDANCE SYSTEM

obinnachri...@gmail.com

Apr 24, 2019, 12:30:26 PM4/24/19
to CMU-OpenFace
I want to build and install the face recognition attendance system for schools, please what are the requirements, and possibly the cost of the project.

Bill Tugger

Jun 4, 2019, 4:32:04 PM6/4/19
to CMU-OpenFace

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 9:30:26 AM UTC-7, obinnachri...@gmail.com wrote:
I want to build and install the face recognition attendance system for schools, please what are the requirements, and possibly the cost of the project.

If you don't already have a application to manage employees, shifts, break times, history, reporting, etc you'll need to source or write that.  Likely this will require a server/PC to run on.  Then you'll need terminals with camera & any feedback/data entry capabilities; as many as locations for employees to clock in at.

As an example - we have an ERP system.  To implement a full time clock & labor collection I set up a dedicated openface server.  I modified our ERP system to allow data transfers between it and the timeclocks/labor collection terminals.  For the terminals I designed a touch interface (10" touch screen) using python on a RPI in a custom enclosure.
Employee touches the clock in button on the terminal.  Terminal takes a short series of pics and sends them to the openface server.  Openface server processes the pics and identifies the employee (employee #) and sends this back to the terminal.  The terminal then sends the employee # & time to the ERP server.  Program on the ERP server accepts/rejects the clock (based on various controls) and sends the results back to the terminal which then displays the appropriate info on screen.  Terminals/server are also programmed to allow adding faces as well as displaying employee time data for the week.
Costs?  Depends on your expertise with hardware, programming, and systems design as well have how many terminals.  Our terminals cost about $550US for parts.  If we were to do to a 7" screen that would drop significantly to about $250US.  The openface server we're using is a dedicated system and it cost IIRC, approx. $1KUS. This server should be able to support 50+ terminals.  There is a lot of programming involved.  Actually the openface part is minor.  Most of the coding is with the terminals and screen management.  Programming of the ERP interface can be simple or it can be quite complicated.  If you have to program your own time clock database/application the time involved can get quite extensive.

All said, it can be done.  I does take a rather extensive understanding of systems. hardware, and programming to pull off.  If you have those skills or have help in the areas you don't it can be a interesting project.