Installing OpenFace on Ubuntu 14.04

Bill Tugger

Oct 27, 2016, 2:23:15 PM10/27/16
to CMU-OpenFace
I ran into some issues in getting a good install of OpenFace.  I finally worked through them and thought I'd post the formula I used to install it on Ubuntu 14 in the hopes it would help someone.  This procedure follows the procedure at Openface setup by hand with a few minor changes.  Note that I've only tested this from the command line (no web).  It is also set up on a VMware VM, so no cuda testing.  So like most things in life, YMMV.
Needed files [links are in the "Openface setup by hand" link above]:
opencv-2.4.11.zip
boost_1_61_0.tar.bz2
dlib-18.16.tar.bz2
openface-master.zip
Date: 10/27/2016 [the farther from this date the greater chance something will change]
Server: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS x86_64 (test env was on a VM w/o cuda)

Feel free to make suggestions.

Special thanks to those who created OpenFace.  Kudos.

OpenFace_Ubuntu14.04Setup.txt

Bill Tugger

Nov 7, 2016, 6:20:47 PM11/7/16
to CMU-OpenFace
I've finished the build of our production server.  This system has a GTX1070 GPU (cuda) and is Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS x86_64.  So these instructions include the cuda portion.  Note that I didn't include the DNN libraries but the included text explains what was removed and adding them back in is simple.  Opencv is slightly newer.
SetupOnenfaceCudaUbuntu14.04.5.txt

jeinish

Mar 8, 2017, 1:51:18 PM3/8/17
to CMU-OpenFace
this look like a good step by step guide for installation. I will try this.

jeinish

Mar 9, 2017, 6:24:20 AM3/9/17
to CMU-OpenFace
hello again.
Im following your guide to install openface.

when I run this command (under install torch):
luarocks install torch

I get this error:
Error: Your user does not have write permissions in /usr/local/lib/luarocks/rocks
you may want to run as a privileged user or use your local tree with --local

Can you please help? Is this related to rc you have mentioned earlier?

thanks in advance.

Bill Tugger

Mar 28, 2017, 2:45:11 PM3/28/17
to CMU-OpenFace
You should run the steps as root or sudo.  The error you see is telling you that the user account you're using does not have permissions to write files in locations needed for the install/setup.