Installation problem related to enthought.traits.api on Ubuntu 14.04

Chris McNorgan

Jan 15, 2016, 1:07:52 PM1/15/16
to cmtk-users
Hi, I'm trying to use the Lausanne 2008 parcellation functionality of CMTK again, which I last used in 2012 on a computer running Ubuntu 12.04

My recollection of installing CMTK back then is somewhat fuzzy, but I was eventually able to get it to work. I need only run the Lausanne 2008 sub-parcellation python scripts on my surface data; the functionality provided by most of the other software mentioned on the installation page is irrelevant to me.

On this 14.04 platform with the Neurodeb respository installed (not a virtual machine) I seem to be running into previously unencountered installation obstacles.

I have generally followed step-by-step the instructions for satisfying dependencies at http://www.cmtk.org/mapper/installation.html, with the following deviations:
I did not install the gibbs tracker
I did not install MRTrix
(Incidentally, though dtk worked fine when I tested it out after installation, launching trackvis crashed my computer. This may or may not be diagnostic).
  1. I downloaded the cmp-release-1.2.0-tar.gz archive
  2. python-setuptools and ipython were already installed using apt-get
  3. I ran the following, and have traits and traitsui installed
    sudo easy_install traits traitsui pyface nibabel numpy networkx scipy nose
    1. traits 4.1.0 is the active version in easy-install.pth
    2. traitsui 5.0.0 is the active version
  4. I cloned and installed from git the nipype fork (I wasn't 100% sure if nipype had been previously installed but checked and found no /usr/lib/pyshared directory)
  5. used apt-get to install related programs for boost, nifti, blitz
  6. Unpacked cmp-release archive, executed setup.py install and get the following error message/callback stack:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 91, in <module>
    main(**extra_setuptools_args)
  File "setup.py", line 62, in main
    from cmp.info import __version__
  File "/home/chris/Downloads/cmp-release-1.2.0/cmp/__init__.py", line 13, in <module>
    import stages.converter.dicomconverter as dicomconverter
  File "/home/chris/Downloads/cmp-release-1.2.0/cmp/stages/converter/dicomconverter.py", line 14, in <module>
    from cmp.util import reorient
  File "/home/chris/Downloads/cmp-release-1.2.0/cmp/util.py", line 12, in <module>
    from enthought.traits.api import HasStrictTraits, Str
ImportError: No module named enthought.traits.api

Is there something I've missed? I'm afraid I've also installed Enthought Canopy (going to the Enthought website and requesting an academic license), but that didn't seem to solve the problem (though I hope it neither made it worse).

Chris McNorgan

Apr 29, 2016, 10:54:48 AM4/29/16
to cmtk-users
Thanks everyone.

I managed to solve the problem a couple times (forgetting the solution in between). It seems that the stable 1.x release has some sort of problem locating the traitsui package, at least as it was installed on my system, despite the fact that when I used easy_install to install traitsui, I was getting assurances that I already had the latest version installed. It was extremely perplexing and frustrating.

Anyways, it turns out that the solution that worked for me was to use the 2.x beta version rather than the stable release. Once I went that route, I was able to run install.py on the ConnectomeMapper source code without error.

IStevens

Jun 27, 2018, 5:48:55 PM6/27/18
to cmtk-users
On Ubuntu 16.04 I found changing the import in the file to traits.api worked. Imports like: enthoughts.traits.ui were converted to traitsui, and enthoughts.ets{something or other} to traits.ets{something or other}