Re: [cmake4eclipse-users] Observations about functionality

Martin Weber

Mar 10, 2019, 11:06:01 AM3/10/19
to cmake4ecl...@googlegroups.com
Am Samstag, 9. März 2019, 22:03:56 CET schrieb scott.w...@gmail.com:
> Eclipse
> Version: 2018-12 (4.10.0)
> Build id: 20181214-0600
>
> cmake4eclipse: 1.14.0.201902262022
> CMakeEditor: 1.10.0
>
> Trying to move off from Netbeans (there's a dumpster fire...). I got
> spoiled with the functionality.
>
> Plugin is good. Tells Eclipse how to build CMake project. Note in help
> documentation and webpage that "Take the CMakeLists.txt as the source of
> truth" is perfect.
> Bundled w/ CMake Editor plugin and we have some nice functionality.
>
> However, there's some annoying quirks with the build process...

The plugin hooks in to CDT, most of the quirks stem from there.

> 1) When doing a first "build project", CMake will execute and output is
> piped to console. Build process (make) will take over but nothing is shown
> in the console - just an indication of an ongoing process. The Make console
> output is lost. You have to "re-build" so that you can see the make
> progress in the console.

Yes, the different consoles are annoying, but that's the way CDT handles
console output. Actually, you have three different consoles
-1 CMake console: shows the output of the latest cmake invocation
-2 CDT Build console: shows the output of the latest build (cmake, ninja,...)
-3 CDT Global Build Console: Shows all build output of each project. This
console is never cleared automatically.

But in practice, you will rarely look at the console output. CDT has compiler
error parsers that produce nice clickable error-messages in the problems view.

> 2) Need intuitive way to clean CMake cache. Sure, clean project wipes away
> the make results. But how do we clean the CMake cache? Best I can figure is
> to delete the build folder in the project. Is this correct method?

Yes, Either delete the build folder or delete just the CMakeCache.txt file.
The latter is what the 'Force cmake to run with each build' option does; it is
faster since cmake will skip its compiler detection phase.

> 3) Need help documentation about where/how to set up CMake variables. I
> think I found it(Project Properties->Cmake4eclipse->[tab]Symbols), but I
> had to dig.

Yes, that is the proper place.
For each symbol, and appropriate -D-option is added to the command-line for
cmake. In cmake's terms, this option set a 'CMake Cache Entry' [1], which is
slighty different from 'CMake variable' [2].

/ Martin

[1] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/command/set.html#set-cache-entry
[2] https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/command/set.html#set-normal-variable
--