Clusto Meetup Notes 2013-10-29

Jeremy Grosser

Oct 30, 2013, 2:03:25 AM10/30/13
to clu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks to all that attended the Clusto Meetup. We came up with a lot of good ideas/problems and a good list of tasks for the next release (0.8).

Unassigned tasks:
- Delete digg/clusto repo on github, or at least make it private
- Refactor schema.py to use core SQLAlchemy without the ORM
- Write clusto-dump/load commands (eg. clusto dump dc1 --recursive --format=json --create-files)
- Implement Driver.to_object and Driver.from_object methods, along with serialization helpers (this goes along with the clusto-dump/load commands)
- Build "tour" examples, docs, and website that not only shows how to use clusto, but also why it's a good idea.

synack:
- Write clusto-entity command (eg. clusto entity create BasicDatacenter dc1)
- Write clusto-resource command (eg. clusto resource create --driver IPManager subnet01 baseip=10.0.0.0 netmask=255.255.255.0; clusto resource allocate subnet01 server01 server02 server03...)
- Write clusto-ip command if this needs to do things that are more specific than the clusto-resource command provides
- Implement IPManager.get_ip_managers method, and make sure IPManager.get_ip_manager raises an exception if more than one IPManager is found
- Disable versioning by default
- Implement IPManager.get_ip_managers method, and make sure IPManager.get_ip_manager raises an exception if more than one IPManager is found

kad:
- Merge new HTTP server code
- Write and release client lib in Ruby
- Update existing clustoclient lib on PyPI to work with new HTTP server
- Move service.conf stuff into normal clusto.conf

motivator:
- Refactor PortMixin to get maxports and related info from attrs, not properties. We accept that this will probably be backwards incompatible

If you want to work on one of these, or something's assigned to you that you don't have time for, reply here and we'll shuffle things around. Once this list is mostly completed, we will tag it as 0.8. Until then, interim releases should be tagged as 0.7.x, even if they include new features. Discussion about the development of these or other features should happen on this mailing list so that everyone may participate.

We decided that the next meetup should probably be sometime in January, possibly sooner if 0.8 is ready for release before then. Based on my calendar, the evening of 2014-01-14 looks good. Let me know if this works for the majority and I'll create another Eventbrite thing for it. I'm going to set the price of tickets at $15-20 and get some swag made up for us. Suggestions for a logo or something we can brand that's more interesting than a t-shirt are welcome.
clusto-whiteboard-20131029.jpg