Build-Depends: python-sqlalchemy?

Lex Linden

Mar 18, 2011, 10:35:09 AM3/18/11
to clu...@googlegroups.com
I'm working to integrate clusto into our automated debian package
building system. The build is failing because clusto Build-Depends on
python-sqlalchemy. Is sqlalchemy really necessary to _build_ clusto, or
just to install/run it? Without this build dependency (and without
python-sqlalchemy installed) the clusto package builds fine.

Jeremy Grosser

Mar 18, 2011, 1:55:11 PM3/18/11
to clu...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 18, 2011, at 7:35 AM, Lex Linden wrote:

> I'm working to integrate clusto into our automated debian package building system. The build is failing because clusto Build-Depends on python-sqlalchemy. Is sqlalchemy really necessary to _build_ clusto, or just to install/run it? Without this build dependency (and without python-sqlalchemy installed) the clusto package builds fine.

If it builds without it, then that's a bug in the packaging. Feel free to patch it if you'd like.

Ron

Mar 18, 2011, 2:44:27 PM3/18/11
to clusto
Or you can make the tests run as part of the build and then sqlalchemy
will be a build depends :)

Lex Linden

Mar 21, 2011, 9:53:18 AM3/21/11
to clu...@googlegroups.com, Ron
On 03/18/2011 02:44 PM, Ron wrote:
> Or you can make the tests run as part of the build and then sqlalchemy
> will be a build depends :)

Well, following that logic, Build-Depends would have to list everything
in Depends :) We're definitely going to try to get automated regression
testing going in our build environment, but I think it still makes sense
to remove python-sqlalchemy from Build-Depends. I'll try that, test it,
and then send a pull request.

Lex Linden

Mar 21, 2011, 12:10:54 PM3/21/11
to clu...@googlegroups.com, Ron
While we're on the subject, does anyone know the reason for the Depends:
on python-sqlalchemy >= 0.6.4? 0.6.3 is what ships with debian stable
and testing, so we're going to have to backport 0.6.4 for our internal
builds. It'd be cool if we could avoid that if 0.6.3 is good enough.

Ron

Mar 22, 2011, 12:08:51 AM3/22/11
to clusto
There were definitely times I bumped up the sqlalchemy version because
I hit issues with earlier versions. I don't remember the exact reason
for moving to 0.6.4, but you can try running the tests against 0.6.3.
If everything passes we can change the depends.

-Ron