QGIS with ClusterHAT

Nate N

Oct 1, 2023, 12:54:18 PM10/1/23
to ClusterHAT
Hello,

I'm interested in looking at if you can use a cluster of computers to run QGIS. Not for speed but for data evaluation and related functions. I've tried looking around online and haven't seen much, especially not for Raspberry Pi.
I'm interested in using Raspberry Pi's for this since I know them well and feel more comfortable with clustering them then other computers.
Does anyone know if it is possible to distribute tasks to different computers when using QGIS? And if so, could it be done with a clusterHAT?
And yes, I know it will be slow and the Zeroes aren't the best choice for lots of computing! :)

Nate

Ben Heininger

Oct 3, 2023, 12:56:40 AM10/3/23
to ClusterHAT
I don't know specifics of QGIS (definitely not an expert on any of the below either) but some things to look at that might help below;
Ansible? (I have been testing Ansible on my cluster in the last 3-4 weeks but you might be able to do something there)
Docker swarm?
Can My Water Cooled Raspberry Pi Cluster Beat My MacBook? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGyJTcdfR1E
The youtube link has a link to his build and instructions. He is using MPIExec to share the compute between the cluster.

I hope that helps and gives you some things to consider.