Clusterhat v1.3 not detected by controller

Marco Picard

Aug 5, 2023, 12:29:54 PM8/5/23
to ClusterHAT
Cluster HAT model,
Controller Pi Model,
filenames of the image used on the controller (cnat/cbridge at a minimum) and Pi Zeros image filenames,
how you're connecting to the internet (wifi/ethernet/etc)
basically please explain it like me like I don't know your setup :).

Hi Mr.

I am actually owner of an old clusterhat v1.3, the red one, and I recently order the clusterctrl v2.5. because i really
like to try cluster softwares on this PCB.

I have two options of controller PCB in hand. The RPI3B+ and RPI4B. Both are eligible to 64 bits OS systems.

I apréciate the LITE version for operation environment. I can install a desktop GUI later if needed.

But, recently, it bug.

The controller seem to not detect the usb interfaces of the clusterhat's nodes.

Details:
Following the diagnostic procedure in https://8086.support/content/23/115/en/troubleshooting-missing-pi-zeros-in-a-clusterhat.html
1) After powering on the Controller Pi is the PWR LED on the HAT lit up, and after Raspbian boots does the ALERT LED go from dim to off?
yes
2) When you run "clusterctrl status" does it say "clusterhat:1" ?
yes
3) Check the USB hub is visible, run "clusterctrl hub off", "lsusb -t" (save the output), "clusterctrl hub on", run "lsusb -t" again and compare.
"clusterctrl hub off" is not a valid operation on clusterhat v1.3
4) With the power off to the Pi Zeros "clusterctrl off", remove their SD cards, run "sudo service clusterctrl-rpiboot stop", "clusterctrl on" and then wait a minute.
did not resolve
5) Do the P1-P4 LED (on the Cluser HAT) come on (you may need to run "clusterctrl led on" if you've turned the LED off)?
yes
Do you see four 12M USB devices hanging off the USB hub detected above?
yes

Setup Controller:
Clusterhat v1.3 (red one)
RPI3B+ && connected by ethernet rj45 port
https://dist.8086.net/clusterctrl/bullseye/2023-05-03/2023-05-03-4-bullseye-ClusterCTRL-arm64-lite-CBRIDGE.zip

Setup Cluster Nodes:
RPIZero v1.3 no wireless && connected by usb to clusterhat
https://dist.8086.net/clusterctrl/bullseye/2023-05-03/2023-05-03-4-bullseye-ClusterCTRL-armhf-lite-pX.zip

Chris Burton

Aug 5, 2023, 6:28:59 PM8/5/23
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
I am actually owner of an old clusterhat v1.3, the red one, and I recently order the clusterctrl v2.5. because i really
like to try cluster softwares on this PCB.

The ClusterHAT v1.x are still supported by the current images so it should still work OK (IIRC I tested them on a v1.2).

Do you see four 12M USB devices hanging off the USB hub detected above?
yes

If you're seeing the four "12M" USB devices then it's seeing the Pi Zeros OK over the USB cable and it's most likely a software issue - I would advise reimaging the SD cards, enabling SSH/configure user+pass details and trying again - but make sure you leave the Pi Zeros a few minutes (say 10 to be sure) for their initial boot as it can take a while as they reboot multiple times.

Chris.