ClusterStack - min-voltage to operate?

Crispin Proctor

Sep 18, 2022, 4:02:35 PM9/18/22
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a stack which is running 5 PIs quite happily.

The spec says 12-24V supply. Will it operate 10.8V without stability issues?
I cannot see the part number of the regulator.

Thanks

Chris Burton

Sep 18, 2022, 6:07:11 PM9/18/22
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
The spec says 12-24V supply. Will it operate 10.8V without stability issues?
I cannot see the part number of the regulator.

The 12V minimum was based on the DC-DC converter output of 5.1V@10A with 90% efficiency (it's better than that) and the 5A max rating on the DC barrel jack which worked out to be ~11V minimum iirc which I rounded up.

If you're using 5xPi4 (or lower spec) with no peripherals plugged in then a >10.2V supply should keep you within the barrel jacks 5A rating with the Pi using <=1.8A each (3A recommended PSU - 1.2A USB allowance) but in reality they'll probably use less than 1.8A anyway.

Chris.

Crispin Proctor

Sep 18, 2022, 6:16:10 PM9/18/22
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info.

I want to run it from some 18650s (3S2P) but don't want to use a dc-dc to bring it to 12V if you're only going to reduce it again.

A bms will ensure the li ion stay charged and happy.