Raspberry PI Certificates issues

michael...@netscape.net

Oct 23, 2021, 8:58:17 AM10/23/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi

I have a Cluster with the following nodes:
A pi3b+ controller with cluster hat and 4 pi zeros
under this are 4 other pi3b+'s and also a banana-pi-pro.
The cluster runs on a mix of Raspbian, HypriotOS and Armbian.

The whole cluster is running various boinc project tasks.

I've been having upload/download issues,
caused by a recent certificates change.

I've tracked it down to the following file:
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates,crt

Is there an recent update for this file floating around somewhere?

Regards

Michael Blucher

Chris Burton

Oct 24, 2021, 6:00:39 AM10/24/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
I've tracked it down to the following file:
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates,crt

Is there an recent update for this file floating around somewhere?

If you're running without updates or older distributions then it's possible you're seeing an issue related to the expiration of letsencrypts root certificate (see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/ ).

If this could be the issue and isn't fixed by a normal update then there are scripts out there like https://github.com/xenetis/letsencrypt-expiration to help update it on older systems (please backup and check to see what the script is doing before running/updating).

Chris.

michael...@netscape.net

Oct 24, 2021, 6:49:39 PM10/24/21
to ClusterHAT

Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

There are 2 options on git hub.  How do we know which one to run?

Question: How do we backup?

Regards

Michael Blucher

Chris Burton

Oct 25, 2021, 1:30:52 PM10/25/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
There are 2 options on git hub.  How do we know which one to run?

It looks like they've updated the script to handle jessie/stretch and buster - but you can check with "lsb_release -s".

Question: How do we backup?

michael...@netscape.net

Oct 25, 2021, 10:17:42 PM10/25/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi Chris

Thanks for that.

"lsb_release -s" comes back with:  "No LSB modules are available"
That's on the Rasbpian image that I down loaded from the cluster hat site some time back.

Backups?
It seems the method suggested is the "dd" method for backing up of the micro sd cards.
I was hoping something simpler might be available.
Shutting down the entire cluster and backing up all the nodes will literally take half a day.

Okay, if I download the 1st method, which is a script and analyse that,
then I should be able to figure out what destination directories to wrap up in a tar ball backup.
That might be the way to go.

These are Debian methods.  Will they work on Raspbian?

The other OS's HypriotOS and Armbian, I'll have to suss out when I've corrected Raspbian.

Cheers Mate

Michael Blucher

michael...@netscape.net

Oct 26, 2021, 6:23:57 AM10/26/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi Chris

Thanks again, you have been a great help.  I downloaded the script and analysed it.

From that I have now updated my 5 Raspbian "Buster" nodes (controller and p1 to p4) without issues :)

I have 4 pi 3b+ nodes, they run HypriotOS, which was based upon "Stretch".  I have yet to update those.
Should I?  Please advise if you can.

I have another node which is a Banana Pi Pro running Armbian. It comes up as "Bionic".
There may be no fix for that.  Perhaps I will need to ask the Armbian peoples?

Cheers Mate and thanks again.

Michael Blucher

michael...@netscape.net

Oct 27, 2021, 3:35:59 AM10/27/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi Chris

I've applied the fix to the HypriotOS nodes, all 4 of them and they appear to be working again. :)

On checking the logs on my Armbian "Bionic" node.  It appears to be working without need for a fix.

I'll monitor the cluster, but so far so good.

Cheers Mate

Michael Blucher
P.S. Put the command in a script file and remember to run it with a sudo