Port led is always lit/Port always on

Justin Maslack

Jan 17, 2022, 4:35:32 PM1/17/22
to ClusterHAT
I have been working with two clusterhats and after a bit of learning, I got 4 pi zero w and 4 pi zero 2 setup to work in cbridge mode. I alternated the zeros and zero 2 across the two hats to help with power. So far, no power issues using a PoE hat on each.

On my last reboot, the led light for p4 seems to be stuck in the "on" position, meaning the port is always on. "clusterctrl off p4" or even "clusterctrl off" do not seem to touch the port. Even a complete power off/on sequence does not correct the issue. I am not able to boot the pi on that port now (it worked before). Is there another way to control that port? "clusterctrl status" shows:

clusterhat:1
clusterctrl:False
maxpi:4
throttled:0x0
hat_version:2.5
hat_version_major:2
hat_version_minor:5
hat_size:4
hat_uuid:16aeb902-9d28-11ea-bb37-0242ac130002
hat_vendor:8086 Consultancy
hat_product_id:0x0004
hat_alert:0
hat_hub:1
hat_wp:1
hat_led:1
hat_wplink:0
hat_xra1200p:True
p1:0
p2:0
p3:0
p4:0

Indicating the port is off. p4 does change to 1 with "clusterctrl on". The led is able to be triggered manually as well, using the "led off" command but it comes back up with "led on".

Thanks for any help,

Justin

Chris Burton

Jan 18, 2022, 3:59:40 AM1/18/22
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
On my last reboot, the led light for p4 seems to be stuck in the "on" position, meaning the port is always on. "clusterctrl off p4" or even "clusterctrl off" do not seem to touch the port. Even a complete power off/on sequence does not correct the issue. I am not able to boot the pi on that port now (it worked before). Is there another way to control that port? "clusterctrl status" shows:

I'm a little confused by this - if the P4 LED is on then the P4 Pi Zero should be powered and boot. You say you've using a PoE HAT - is there anything which could be shorting under the Cluster HAT? (when I used a PoE HAT, it was very close to the pins on the underside). If not I would also check for any debris around the U11, U8, R8 and R6 which could be bridging the pins.

Chris.

Justin Maslack

Feb 2, 2022, 1:44:24 PM2/2/22
to ClusterHAT
Chis,

I move this cluster hat to a new pi 4 without the poe hat. I am still getting the same issue with that last light being on and not powering any pi zero attached to it. I can also confirm another cluster hat with a poe hat does work as it should. So I am thinking this one has to be a dud or something?

Chris Burton

Feb 3, 2022, 2:56:21 PM2/3/22
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
 OK, thanks for checking - it's not a problem I've seen before but it does sound like there's a problem with the Cluster HAT.

I would advise contacting the vendor or email sup...@8086.net.uk for a replacement.

Chris.