Using micro USB cables between Cluster HAT and Pi Zeros

pimovietc

May 12, 2021, 11:44:25 AMMay 12
to ClusterHAT
Hi all,

I've been working webcams to monitor bird nests in my aviary. I have a single cam running with a Pi 4 and Pi Camera. The plan is to add the Cluster HAT with 4 Pi Zeros with each their own Camera. I want to use the main Pi to stream the camfeeds over Wi-Fi.

In order to cover the distance between nests I'm planning to run micro USB cables between the Cluster HAT and the Pi Zeros. However, I'm uncertain if this will work (without buying/trying). Has anyone tried this and what cable lengths? I can imagine that voltage drop and/or timing issues may become a problem. The distance that I'm looking to cross is approx 80 cm, given available cables they'll probably end up being 1m long.

Any thoughts?

pimovietc

May 24, 2021, 11:59:00 AMMay 24
to ClusterHAT
As an update, I went ahead and ordered the required parts. Haven't tested the longer cables yet (will report my findings when I do) as I'm dealing with other stability issues first.

Chris Burton

May 25, 2021, 4:46:32 PMMay 25
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
As an update, I went ahead and ordered the required parts. Haven't tested the longer cables yet (will report my findings when I do) as I'm dealing with other stability issues first.

It isn't something I've tried but you'd need to be careful with the width of the uUSB connectors on the HAT end - I tried using adapters a while ago and they needed the sides chopping down to fit.

Chris.

pimovietc

May 25, 2021, 5:29:32 PMMay 25
to ClusterHAT
Hi,

that's a valid point that I hadn't considered yet.
Using an analog caliper I did some measuring.
 * 7-7.5 mm between µUSB connectors on the HAT (I found 8.78mm in a previous post, I assume this is including the connector itself as its approximately 7+1.8)
 * 1.5-2 mm µUSB connector (online I found they should be 1.8mm)

I ordered a single cable for testing and it measures to exactly 9.5 mm.
Assuming my worst case measurement there's only 8.5 mm room, which would mean that I'd have to shave off  1 mm, which seems plausible given how beefy the connector actually is.

Perhaps a consideration for a future v2.6, provide 10mm spacing to fit (what I assume) most adapters.

I'll post my findings once I've tested it for future reference.

Chris Burton

May 26, 2021, 4:49:58 AMMay 26
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
that's a valid point that I hadn't considered yet.
Using an analog caliper I did some measuring.
 * 7-7.5 mm between µUSB connectors on the HAT (I found 8.78mm in a previous post, I assume this is including the connector itself as its approximately 7+1.8)
 * 1.5-2 mm µUSB connector (online I found they should be 1.8mm)

I ordered a single cable for testing and it measures to exactly 9.5 mm.

Assuming my worst case measurement there's only 8.5 mm room, which would mean that I'd have to shave off  1 mm, which seems plausible given how beefy the connector actually is.

On the v2.x the distance between uUSB connector centres is 9.6mm (v1.x was 8.78mm) so they might just fit.

Perhaps a consideration for a future v2.6, provide 10mm spacing to fit (what I assume) most adapters.

That would need to be for 3.x (should there be one) as it I'd want any v2.x to fit in the same case so the LED positions need to be the same (some cases have light pipes which fit between the Pi Zeros down to the LED).

Chris.

pimovietc

May 26, 2021, 6:10:53 AMMay 26
to ClusterHAT
Hi

On the v2.x the distance between uUSB connector centres is 9.6mm (v1.x was 8.78mm) so they might just fit.
Great! When I receive the other cables I'll test if they fit. Measuring by eye it should be just able to fit.
Would it be okay if I post the EAN number (or even link to amazon) for reference if someone ever stumbles across this thread?

Pim.