Pi Zeros won't connect

Christopher Bennett

Feb 16, 2024, 11:01:52 AMFeb 16
to ClusterHAT
Hi guys,

I have a raspberry Pi cluster consisting of 4 Pi 3 B+ nodes connected via a switch and the head node connected to the internet via ethernet. I am also using a Cluster HAT and Pi Zeros. I am using the bullseye CBRIDGE controller image and bullseye lite for the P0s. The controller picks up the network but when powered, the P0s do not seem to acquire an ip via dhcp, or at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Chris Burton

Feb 20, 2024, 3:37:06 AMFeb 20
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
I have a raspberry Pi cluster consisting of 4 Pi 3 B+ nodes connected via a switch and the head node connected to the internet via ethernet. I am also using a Cluster HAT and Pi Zeros. I am using the bullseye CBRIDGE controller image and bullseye lite for the P0s. The controller picks up the network but when powered, the P0s do not seem to acquire an ip via dhcp, or at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

I would try increasing the number of seconds for "reboot" in /etc/dhcpcd.conf (clusterctrl default is "reboot 15"). If that doesn't help it might be easier to use static IPs on the Pi Zeros by setting the fallback IP for usb0 in /etc/dhcpcd.conf.

Chris.

Christopher Bennett

Mar 4, 2024, 1:46:49 PMMar 4
to ClusterHAT
Thanks for the advice! Just to confirm, you mean to change this configuration in the cluster controller node? For clarification my cluster is set up following this tutorial, and I aim to have a few of the nodes in this cluster as a Cluster HAT with Pi 0s, if this adds any additional context that I had not provided.

Many thanks again for the advice and consideration,
Chris

Chris Burton

Mar 4, 2024, 5:55:45 PMMar 4
to ClusterHAT

Hi,
Thanks for the advice! Just to confirm, you mean to change this configuration in the cluster controller node? For clarification my cluster is set up following this tutorial, and I aim to have a few of the nodes in this cluster as a Cluster HAT with Pi 0s, if this adds any additional context that I had not provided.

When you say you followed the tutorial did you use the ClusterCTRL image as a starting point for the controller and pi zeros?
- If not then you wouldn't have any network between the Pi Zeros and the controller.
- If you did then how much did you follow  the network setup as most of that would conflict with the setup on the standard ClusterCTRL images.

Chris.

Ian Goldsmith

Mar 5, 2024, 6:23:17 AMMar 5
to clust...@googlegroups.com
In case it helps - i think a lot of people should read this as a starting point, the ‘missing tutorial’ i think it links to
https://dev.to/andypiper/building-a-compact-pi-cluster-1pia (though i havent used it myself recently sorry.. kinda been meaning to for why i still have it saved )