Turn fan on and off manually

Crispin Proctor

May 29, 2021, 1:50:19 PM5/29/21
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

One of my fans is not turning on and I want to try debug is it the fan or something else broken.

Is there a way to turn them on and off manually?

I cannot find any commands here: https://clusterhat.com/setup-control

thanks

Chris Burton

May 30, 2021, 10:42:28 AM5/30/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
One of my fans is not turning on and I want to try debug is it the fan or something else broken.

Is there a way to turn them on and off manually?

I cannot find any commands here: https://clusterhat.com/setup-control

You can use "clusterctrl fan on" and "clusterctrl fan off" (there are a few hints in the script https://github.com/burtyb/clusterhat-image/blob/master/files/usr/sbin/clusterctrl ).

Chris.

Crispin Proctor

May 30, 2021, 1:20:55 PM5/30/21
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I thought there was a way to turn them on individually.

They do both work but not sure if the one works with temperature though as it is always off.
If I turn them off will they revert to auto?

Chris Burton

May 30, 2021, 3:43:12 PM5/30/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
Thanks. I thought there was a way to turn them on individually.

I assume you're using a ClusterCTRL Stack as that was what you asked about last year in which case the firmware only supports turning all fans on or "off".

They do both work but not sure if the one works with temperature though as it is always off.
If I turn them off will they revert to auto?

Yes, when you set it to "off" it reverts back to being controlled via GPIO18 on P1-P5.

To test the fans you could run "raspi-gpio set 18 op pn dh" on either P1/P2 for Fan1 or P3/4/5 for Fan2.

Chris.

Crispin Proctor

May 31, 2021, 7:21:34 AM5/31/21
to clust...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the help Chris, much appreciated.

The example you set tells the pi to turn the pin on and off. Would this then confirm that the pi is also sensing the temp?

Contents of one of the pi's config which I think to be correct?

pi@rpi-docker-master:~ $ cat /boot/config.txt

<snip>

#overscan_right=16
#overscan_top=16
#overscan_bottom=16

dtoverlay=gpio-fan,gpiopin=18,temp=55000

# uncomment to force a console size. By default it will be display's size minus
# overscan.
#framebuffer_width=1280
#framebuffer_height=720

<snip>

[pi4]
# Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver on top of the dispmanx display stack
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=2000

[all]
#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
gpu_mem=4

Having a look though I think I am missing something else. I also log to influx and pulling the temps out into grafana, I cannot see that it overshot the 55c I have set.
I'll do a bit more research.

image.png

Thanks again for the help and product :)

Chris Burton

Jun 3, 2021, 3:23:27 AM6/3/21
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
The example you set tells the pi to turn the pin on and off. Would this then confirm that the pi is also sensing the temp?

"raspi-gpio set 18 op pn dh" sets GPIO18 high which should enable the fan on the ClusterCTRL Stack for that group.

Contents of one of the pi's config which I think to be correct?

Assuming there are no other conditionals which might change things that looks OK.

"raspi-gpio get 18" should show it set as an output.

Chris.