Putting ClusterHAT in a rack

Pao-Tang Kao

Apr 19, 2022, 1:21:53 AM4/19/22
to ClusterHAT
Has anyone mount their ClusterHAT setup on a rack enclosure?

Very enthralled by Uctronic's ultimate rack with PoE implementation and was wondering if it's even possible to make ClusterHAT co-exist with the PoE HAT that came with the rack setup.
5_3_1.jpg

For starters, anyone knows what pin Cluster HAT uses?

kao

Chris Burton

Apr 21, 2022, 8:02:30 AM4/21/22
to ClusterHAT
Hi,
Has anyone mount their ClusterHAT setup on a rack enclosure?

Very enthralled by Uctronic's ultimate rack with PoE implementation and was wondering if it's even possible to make ClusterHAT co-exist with the PoE HAT that came with the rack setup.

I've used the official PoE HAT with the Cluster HAT but it doesn't look like this PoE HAT is designed to passthrough the GPIO pins for other HATs and it's not something I've tried.

For starters, anyone knows what pin Cluster HAT uses?

It depends on the version but for v2.5 these are used (physical pin numbers).

3/5 for I2C for the I/O expander (address 0x20).
17,27,28 for the HAT EEPROM (if you don't want to connect them you can override the version in /etc/default/clusterctrl).
2/4 for 5V and all GND pins are connected.
12 is connected to the fan MOSFET and 8/10 go to the serial connector - these can obviously be left unconnected if you're not using them.

It looks like the display uses I2C on a different address so that wouldn't cause a conflict with the Cluster HAT I/O expander.

Chris.

Pao-Tang Kao

Apr 21, 2022, 10:58:42 PM4/21/22
to ClusterHAT
Hi Chris.

That's brilliant. Let see what I can do once the rack arrive.

I too am using a POE Hat with my 3B together with the Cluster Hat 2.4, but the mini uctronics one.  I resoldered the IO pins to lone ones so that 1-6 that the POE hat needs gets passthrough.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oqz67VsBHDjoUG8s9

kept the cluster neat and short.

think i will probably have to go a different approach with the rack.

thanks again for the information.