Requirements for building fuzz targets

Jonathan Foote

Nov 24, 2021, 10:44:54 AM11/24/21
to clusterfuzzlite-users
Hello,

Is it necessary to use the oss-fuzz build.sh/Dockerfile to create fuzz target binaries [0], or can fuzz targets be built in the project's existing build environment as described the clusterfuzz documentation [1]?

Thanks,
Jon

Jonathan Metzman

Feb 26, 2022, 7:56:11 PM2/26/22
to clusterfuzzlite-users

The only supported way of building targets is with build.sh/Dockerfile.
We considered allowing users to bring their own build as you describe, but decided against it (at least initially) due to maintenance burden.
We're taking a wait and see attitude to see how badly users want this feature.

However, if you really don't want this, you could try putting your own build in the build-out subdirectory of the workspace (pointed to by the env var GITHUB_WORKSPACE on github), and running the "run_fuzzers" action instead of running build_fuzzers first.
The main problem I for see with doing this, is ClusterFuzzLite will run all fuzzers instead of only affected fuzzers since that step is done in build_fuzzers.
I'm happy to help if this is a blocker for you, feel free to reach out again.

Thanks,
Jonathan