New feature: grid square maps

G7VJR

Jul 24, 2021, 5:23:38 PMJul 24
to Club Log
Hi folks,

Back in April when the satellite features of Club Log went live, I started planning the grid square map feature too. This is basically aimed at VHF/UHF and satellite users, but it's available for all QSOs:

Please remember that Club Log only started collecting locators in April! The locators provided by Club Log users are used to fill in, but for best results (if have locator squares in your ADIF file) you might like to clear, and upload in full.

Have fun! The maps are pretty!

vy 73
Michael G7VJR

trevor dunne

Jul 24, 2021, 9:38:57 PMJul 24
to G7VJR, Club Log
Hi Michael

Thanks for another brilliant feature on Clublog, is there any simple way to add in a text box with the total worked/confirmed for the chosen selection?

This would make it perfect if possible,

73
Trevor
EI2GLB

John Linford (G3WGV)

Jul 25, 2021, 8:47:31 AMJul 25
to clu...@googlegroups.com
Agreed, an excellent new feature, thanks Michael. I see that Trevor has already got his wish, so here's mine: It would be handy to be able to filter by mode, as one can on the DXCC charts.
73, John, G3WGV

Tim Shoppa

Jul 25, 2021, 9:21:29 AMJul 25
to G7VJR, Club Log
A neat feature is that you can click on a filled-in gridsquare and it shows a callsign/date/time/band/mode. Michael, is it the first QSO with the gridsquare that is shown, or just an arbitrary random one?

I have not been uploading grid squares to Clublog at all, and I have lots of matches, which means lots of QSO's matched with Clublog users who have declared their gridsquare?

Something funky with wrapping happens in the west side of the Pacific, probably at the opposite of the Prime Meridian? I betcha this is a problem in openstreetmap and not in Clublog itself. Sometimes the wrapping in openstreetmap seems to work only intermittently.

Tim.

Philip Rose

Jul 25, 2021, 9:32:44 AMJul 25
to Tim Shoppa, G7VJR, Club Log

It says in the blurb - Where there are multiple QSOs in a square, the first QSO with the highest QSL status is reported for that grid square.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

titt...@one-name.org

Jul 25, 2021, 11:59:25 AMJul 25
to Club Log

Hello Michael, this is an excellent feature.

As you say, it is currently aimed at VHF/UHF/SAT users.

I am sure many people are more familiar than me with The CQ DX Field Award (https://cq-amateur-radio.com/cq_awards/cq_dx_awards/cq_dx_field_award/cq_field_award_rules.pdf) for contacting 50 or more of the  324 Grid Fields, 10-degree latitude by 20-degree longitude rectangles lettered AA through RR.

With this in mind, it would be great if there was a “zoom” feature to toggle between four character (JO01) and two character (JO) grids.

The CQDXFA application form etc is somewhat “rudimentary”.  I’m sure the new Club Log feature will be of great interest to HF grid chasers and this may be an opportunity to get more Club Log users, and some interesting QSOs and propagation data from /MM “wet squares”.

Having got that off my chest I’m going to re-submit my ZL1NA/MM QSOs to ClubLog ...

73 Paul G4PVM

trevor dunne

Jul 25, 2021, 12:03:19 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Hi Michael

Thank you for adding the totals so quickly, this is a great help for people interested in the higher bands, my logging program can not do this so having the option on CL is greatly appreciated,

73
Trevor
EI2GLB

Gary Hinson

Jul 25, 2021, 1:12:59 PMJul 25
to clu...@googlegroups.com

‘Something funky’ indeed!

If I centre the map on ZL, half the world goes blank:

Thanks for providing this, Michael.  I have been able to generate grid maps like this:

… but that involves:

  1. Export a full log as an ADIF
  2. Pre-process the ADIF to remove duplicate QSOs with the same grids using “GridStrip” – an undocumented, unattributed program that Google pointed me at, some time ago.  [This step is needed because WG7J’s GridMapper app can’t cope with large logs >32Mb, whereas Club Log can!]
  3. Map the shrunken de-duped ADIF using http://wg7j.reinalda.net/gridmapper/gridmapper.php by WG7J.  The GridMapper map customization options may be of interest to Club Log’s users:

73

Gary  ZL2iFB

Jul 25, 2021, 2:16:40 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Hi Gary

It would be funny if it wasn't true that this happens to you every time I use Openstreetmap - but I always apply the fix when you remind me.

The fix, by the way, is that OSM lets you address longitudes for the expanded (repeat) worlds left and right, so you can add and subtract 360 from the longitudes and add points to complete the mapping.Not exactly ideal but the other feature (called world copy jumping) isn't effective. Since OSM is such a wonderful gift to us all I certainly am not complaining!

Your updated map, below.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 19.12.25.png

73
Michael G7VJR

trevor dunne

Jul 25, 2021, 3:49:42 PMJul 25
to G7VJR, Club Log
Hi All

I have a query on the new function,

Looking at my 6m Gridsquare Map it says I have 556 Squares worked on 6m,
If I copy all my 6m QSO's to the WG7J Grid Mapper page it says I have 604, That is the correct number I believe I have worked, If I then take the same adif file that I used on the WG7J page and upload it into a temporary callsign on Clublog it says I have only worked 269 Squares,

How would I even start to work out what is wrong here,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB

G7VJR

Jul 25, 2021, 3:52:14 PMJul 25
to Club Log

Hi Trevor

I'd start by looking at the ADIF. The locator has to be in there before you upload the QSOs to Club Log. Secondly, don't forget that if you haven't uploaded your full log (using 'clear') since April 2021 then you need to do that too. Club Log didn't import locators before that date and the contents of your new ADIF file will just be skipped as dupes.

73
Michael G7VJR

trevor dunne

Jul 25, 2021, 4:04:27 PMJul 25
to G7VJR, Club Log
Hi Michael

Thanks for the reply, I did a full upload with a clear to a test callsign I have and that is what gave me the 269 total,
I have taken the same ADIF file and loaded it into VQ log as it is known for being good for V/UHF users and it gave me a total square count of 605 which is one more than WG7J so looks like the ADIF file is ok, Just CL isn't getting the right info from it,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB

David Gillies

Jul 25, 2021, 4:24:28 PMJul 25
to Club Log, G7VJR
Hi Michael,

I have the same problem as Trevor. I cleared my existing log on Clublog and uploaded a full adif of my log but the new Grid map feature only shows around half of my 6m grids worked . I uploaded the same file to the WG7J gridmap site and it displays all the grids correctly. I also noticed a glaring error in one grid on the Clublog map. It displays EA2BFM as worked in grid FL93 on 6m, but FL93 is a totally 'wet' grid in the Caribbean and I've only worked EA2BFM twice and he is correctly logged as being in IN83 and a grid search on my logger (Winlog32), confirms I've never worked any stations on 6m in FL93.

Regards

David

MM0AMW

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/clublog/70c3bc62-86e3-4abf-850c-b28150236f93n%40googlegroups.com.

G7VJR

Jul 25, 2021, 4:33:40 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Hi guys

EA2BFM's bad locator is due to him setting it wrongly. I will remove that, but the point really is that the locator from the ADIF would take precedence (if set). Users can and do make mistakes of this kind (I've seen other examples, but not too many).

Can you email me your ADIF files so I can look, please? No need to send them to the reflector.

Thanks
Michael G7VJR

trevor dunne

Jul 25, 2021, 4:55:36 PMJul 25
to G7VJR, Club Log
I just did a full export from LOG4OM and a Clear/Upload to CLublog and I now have 604 showing which matches with WG7J Gridtracker so it looks ok from my end,

Thanks again Michael

73
Trevor
EI2GLB

G7VJR

Jul 25, 2021, 4:57:19 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Hi Trevor,

I'm glad to hear that, as I couldn't really see any reason for it otherwise. Thanks for confirming.

73
Michael G7VJR

mm0amw

Jul 25, 2021, 5:51:46 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Hi Michael,

The full adif export from Winlog32 did the trick, the grid map on CL now exactly matches my log. It seems that the dedicated CL export from WL32 does not include the grid square.

73
David
MM0AMW

G7VJR

Jul 25, 2021, 5:53:10 PMJul 25
to Club Log
Great, thanks for the info David - I'm glad that's sorted it.

73
Michael

titt...@one-name.org

Jul 26, 2021, 4:05:44 PMJul 26
to Club Log

Hello again, I’m having fun exploring this great new feature.

The pre-April data comes from Club Log users’ profiles.  Would it be possible to add the grids for the pre-April dxpeditions or a sub-set (most recent, most QSOs or whatever)?  This would improve the data for many users.

Just an idea.  Of course, no problem if it isn’t feasible or worth it,

73 Paul G4PVM

G7VJR

Jul 26, 2021, 4:26:32 PMJul 26
to Club Log
Hi Paul

I'm glad you're having fun! It is an interesting new visualisation, really different from our usual lunch of DXCCs.

One thing I can do is look for strong evidence (i.e. a lot of identical claims) for a particular locator square for a particular callsign, and build a look-up table. However, I haven't done that yet because I am concerned about the proliferation of generic locator mapping. For example, I know that many loggers will put a pin on the capital city of a DXCC entity as a guess, or maybe the state capital it the USA/Canada/Australia. The problem with that will be that it looks like there's lots of evidence for the locator, but it's not actually good intelligence. I don't want to amplify that problem.

I could build such a list of generic locators myself, and then exclude them from the lookup - but it's getting a bit desperate. I'd rather that the locators came from user-provided input really, so that we don't have to field too many support tickets about pins in the wrong place.

73
Michael G7VJR

G7VJR

Jul 27, 2021, 7:22:43 AMJul 27
to Club Log
Hi folks,

A few small changes:

1) Club Log can now read in extra grids from the VUCC_GRIDS field, allowing more than one grid per QSO. This is to support crossing grids (i.e. QSOs where a station is on the exact boundary of grids).

2) Merging now works. If you upload an ADIF which contains grids etc. then they are merged in. No need to clear your log anymore.

3) Real time logging now returns "Updated" rather than "Dupe" when updates are made to an existing QSO.

Thanks to Dave AA6YQ for the tip about VUCC_GRIDS and Dave, N9FN for his (amazing) test log which helped immeasurably with this.

73
Michael G7VJR

Philip Rose

Jul 27, 2021, 11:29:43 AMJul 27
to G7VJR, Club Log

Hi Michael,

Thanks for these changes. I uploaded my entire ADIF. Unfortunately it contains some records with <SWL:1>Y. These confused the update process and some of these records are marked invalid rather than ignored. When I update only newly modified records, I filter them out myself.

73 Phil GM3ZZA

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

G7VJR

Jul 27, 2021, 11:40:56 AMJul 27
to Club Log
Hi Phil

Ah, ok - I'll add support for skipping those records to the upload processing in Club Log.

73
Michael G7VJR

titt...@one-name.org

Jul 27, 2021, 4:04:47 PMJul 27
to Club Log

Sorry I didn’t explain myself very well yesterday.  I was asking if it was possible for the system to add grids from dxpeditions using Club Log’s Dxpedition tools where I’m sure the data is well controlled.  This would provide many more (a million plus?) accurate pins for pre-April QSOs.

73 Paul G4PVM

G7VJR

Jul 28, 2021, 7:20:32 AMJul 28
to Club Log
Hi Paul -

The location of the expeditions themselves should be set by the fact they are using Club Log and (I hope) will have filled in their locator. Obviously some DXCC entities are entirely contained in a single locator, too, although I haven't looked into that (it's a long list to check!).

The QSOs in their log do not have locators, though (unless they are Club Log users who entered one). We ask for locators at OQRS checkout too so I will be able to add that into the gridsquares, though, in the next version.

73
Michael G7VJR

titt...@one-name.org

Aug 7, 2021, 5:34:15 AMAug 7
to Club Log
Hi Michael, I found a list of DXCCs in each large grid square which also lists which DXCCs (in bold) are wholly in one large grid:

Maybe this is useful?

73 Paul G4PVM

G7VJR

Aug 7, 2021, 10:51:03 AMAug 7
to Club Log
Hi Paul,

Sort of - I would be keen to use a list of that kind that identified the 4-letter squares that map to a single DXCC, but otherwise I'm afraid it's too broad to use at the coarse level of 2-letter fields.

73
Michael G7VJR

Philip Rose

Aug 7, 2021, 2:30:28 PMAug 7
to G7VJR, Club Log

Hi Michael,

I think there will be very few DXCC entities wholly within a 4 character gridsquare. From a quick scan of DxAtlas, I could only identify a few island entities that could be, but even that may be incorrect as some of these might have outlying islands outwith the gridsquare.

G7VJR

Aug 7, 2021, 5:53:10 PMAug 7
to Club Log

Yes, I think you're right.

I have all the DXCC coordinates already, and there is a way to compute whether a coordinate is inside a polygon in OSM (which would be the correct way to calculate ITU zones, too, by the way!). I feel it is likely too much effort for too little reward on this occasion..

73
Michael G7VJR