Re: Can anyone explain CVI to me?

Daniel Minnis

Mar 25, 2019, 1:15:50 PM3/25/19
to Rosemary Allison, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group
Great questions Rosemary.

Here is what I found when doing Corp searches.

CVI is a for profit company with 5000 shares of stock.  I have asked the board to inform the members who owns this stock and in what amounts but no answers.

Club Cascadas de Baja Association, the HOA, is a non profit Corp and therefore the need for CVI.

We need the board to explain in detail to Members how money flows back to the HOA.

We need the board to explain if there is any compensation for officers of CVI  and is so how this was or is determined.

We need to know who CVI employees are and what their salaries are and how those salaries are determined.

We need to know the step by step process to determine if and when the resort would sell and how those revenues would be distributed and using what formulas.

We need to know if there are any other corporations affiliated with the Club besides CVI, and TPI.  Apparently a new Corp for the Restaurant is established or is being established and we need a detailed explanation of how Revenues flow in and out of this new Corp.  There may be another company also associated with the resort and if so what is the relationship.

My limited understanding is CVI does pay maintenance fees for unsold units back to the HOA?

Members, please write the Board and ask the questions you want to know answers to and hopefully you will get more than what Steve, I, and others have.

Dan Minnis

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM 'Rosemary Allison' via Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group <club-cascadas-le...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I think we all need to understand CVI a little better.  Is there anyone who can explain why CVI was created? Was it created to funnel an income stream away from the membership?

According to Dan's last post, the income from the restaurant, coffee shop and market will now be funneled through CVI and there is a 25% increase in cost at the restaurant?  As I recall CVI is a wholly owned separate subsidiary and I do not understand why the majority of the income stream due to the members is "funneled" through a corporation that the membership does not own?  Can anyone explain that to me?  What are the salaries being paid to the executives of CVI?  Who decided that the income from the rental of the unsold units (I notice that Club Cascadas is fully booked through reservations on CheapTickets.com) should go to CVI instead of the membership who is responsible for the maintenance fees on these units?

--
This is a group for individuals who owners in Club Cascadas Legacy, who wish to discuss how to improve the resort as well as voice their valid concerns about our Club Cascadas ownership/membership. If you need any assistance please contact Rosemar...@aol.com
---

Daniel Minnis

Mar 25, 2019, 1:33:48 PM3/25/19
to Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja

From: Clark, Troy <troy....@intel.com>

Thank you Dan for your tenacity and details.

I wish it wasn’t this messy, which I believe is the sentiment that people feel when they don’t want to hear about it, and wish we could just talk about how early people get up for a palapa…   Unfortunately it is messy, and you’ve uncovered a pile of issues which are very concerning.

Just wanted to voice my support, and also my support for those that don’t want to hear about it.  You need to fight the good fight for those that don’t understand it enough to know how bad it is and why they should care.

Thank you

               Troy Clark

Sue

Mar 25, 2019, 3:18:32 PM3/25/19
to Barbara, Daniel Minnis, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
I agree! This all puts a highly negative spin on our home away from home😞

From Sue's iPad
Go Hawks!!!!!!!

On Mar 25, 2019, at 12:02 PM, Barbara <starkma...@gmail.com> wrote:

I am a relatively new member.   I don’t pretend to fully understand the ins and outs of what appears to be a lot of shady goings on  I am putting my week 52 porfin unit up for sale.   I don’t want to be an owner any more.   If any one is interested please contact me.
Barbara Frank

Sent from my iPhone

This is a group for individuals who owners in Club Cascadas Legacy, who wish to discuss how to improve the resort as well as voice their valid concerns about our Club Cascadas ownership/membership. If you need any assistance please contact Rosemar...@aol.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/club-cascadas-legacy-owners-group.

Daniel Minnis

Mar 25, 2019, 3:37:32 PM3/25/19
to Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
Barbara,  let’s all hope there is nothing shady in all that has transpired and the only way to verify this is for the board to come forward with honest answers to ALL the questions we have.  In addition they need to clean up the balance sheets and generate a detailed and transparent Budget.

I would encourage you to hang on to your magnificent Porfin. Week 52 is one of the most desirable weeks to rent if there are years you decide not to use it.

Have patience until we make it through this pandemic problem.

Dan Minnis

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 2:02 PM Barbara <starkma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I am a relatively new member.   I don’t pretend to fully understand the ins and outs of what appears to be a lot of shady goings on  I am putting my week 52 porfin unit up for sale.   I don’t want to be an owner any more.   If any one is interested please contact me.
Barbara Frank

Sent from my iPhone

Nicole G.

Mar 25, 2019, 5:35:54 PM3/25/19
to Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
And so it begins....the Exodus of "for sale" from newer owners because the daily grind of this possible negative business practice by way of the board won't stop!
Yes, it is all fine that there is cause for concern and I respect people's concern that is clearly being addressed. BUT, this daily whirlwind of  negative and " scary" emails are going to push newer owners away from the club! Buyers remorse! Who would want to deal with this over a  " week of vacation"!
Because, I am willing to bet that for most...the love of Cascadas is a love of an enchanting place to vacation, not such a deeply personal emotional attachment to every single aspect from the property to every single employee working there.
It has been made clear that there is still a fair amount of inventory to sell, and so by all means let's scare away some more people so that people who already own leave. That would be just fantastic for all of us now wouldn't it!  This is definitely a path to increase and assessment of yearly maintenance!

The conversation through here and Facebook for the last few months makes the thought of enjoying our next vacation at Cascadas nearly impossible. In fact, so much so that we currently aren't going to come down for our month this year.
Just continuous and non stop negativity.
June is coming so that means it is meeting and voting time right?
We always go to the annual meeting...and based on the activity and the "100's of concerned" individuals, there better be more people than will fit in the room at the meeting in June!!! Just saying that since there is such cause for concern I do hope all the faces whom are so worried show up.

I do not wholly agree or disagree with any of the actions drifting around through here and social media.
I do however, know, that this is pushing people away and the long term effect of that will be bad for all of us. There needs to be some kind of balance.

It is a shame Barbara wants to sell. Cascadas is beautiful and it is sad that she may give up her enjoyment of the club because she thinks the club is shady or in ill business practice.
It is a shame that the perception of the club be " shady" at all.
Though I respect all the concerns, be careful not to shoot yourselves in the foot.  All this negative energy and talk will have the same negative affect on the property...if people aren't happy, they will leave!  Which will not have a good end result either. Beware the ultimate consequences, especially if there is not 100% unethical practices going on.

Sure hope to see all these highly concerned people at the annual meeting!

Nicole

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019, 1:12 PM Shayne Sisson <Sha...@impactgraphics.ab.ca> wrote:
Good afternoon,
This is Karen Alexander. Shayne and I own three weeks here and have done so for years.

 Can one of the board members who I am sure are reading this tornado of emails please just send us the information we need so we can rest easy?

I am currently trying to enjoy my time here and it would be so much appreciated if this could be sorted out. Why not just let everyone know there is nothing to worry about (if that is the case).

The longer the reply the more concerned everyone is becoming so please just stop the bleeding. It is so unnecessary if there is nothing going on.

Looking forward to your reply!
Best Regards
Karen and Shayne
(Your Canadian friends)

Sent from my iPhone

This is a group for individuals who owners in Club Cascadas Legacy, who wish to discuss how to improve the resort as well as voice their valid concerns about our Club Cascadas ownership/membership. If you need any assistance please contact Rosemar...@aol.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/club-cascadas-legacy-owners-group.

Dorothy Matthews

Victoria Marriott

Mar 25, 2019, 5:52:12 PM3/25/19
to Nicole G., Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
Thank you Nicole. Better be the best turnout ever.

Daniel do you think you can take this issue to a new email group?  This has gotten beyond old.

There are three sides to every story. Yours, theirs and the truth. If anyone is truly concerned about the current issues then they should find out where the truth lies. Make your own judgements.

Regards
Vicki Marriott

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja" group.

Dorothy Matthews

Mar 25, 2019, 6:12:37 PM3/25/19
to Victoria Marriott, Nicole G., Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
That's what I believe they are trying to do but are not getting the courtesy of an answer.

Nicole G.

Mar 25, 2019, 6:23:51 PM3/25/19
to Victoria Marriott, Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja

It will not go to a different feed as the person whom created this feed is on the same page as Dan.

As I said....I am not 100% for or against what is being questioned ...I understand aspects of the concern.  However. I do not agree with the 5 alarm fire approach for what may or may not be wrong doing.

I am very concerned that regardless of the business practice, the damage being done to the "feel" of the club is quite sad.

I hope that all that it all turns out well business wise, however, I think that there is now a level of damage that has been done in regard to how people feel about the club itself. There is definitely a change for us. How we feel about some of the people around us.  Who would ever have thought it would be this way.

I just have to say that we definitely struggle with the idea of the board and its possible wrongdoing being that Mark is on the board and the family (Patricia and the boys) is still so involved from an advisory standpoint.  I would think they would make a final exit if it were truth that everything were so incredibly unethical.  I could not imagine the family standing by for this "legacy" to all go up in proverbial flames.

We would also like to add that at no point did we believe we would "own our units or the club" ...we were told that legacy would be the infinite right to our unit and time vs. the old world time limitations of the past.  We did not think that somehow we would have like equity ownership and be receiving dividends from sales and profits, etc ...
If you understand anything about property ownership in Mexico ( which is very different than owning in the US unless you are a citizen) I don't even know how it would be organized for 3,000+ people to "own" physical property at the same space.  We are working on purchasing real property in Cabo and the way it all works just as individuals, I would not want to imagine dealing with multiple parties. None the less this is why I am not in business to own 1 physical property with 2000+ other individuals in Mexico, we will stick to our own private property LOL

Ultimately I/we just hope for the best for the future of Cascadas. It is a special spot.

Victoria Marriott

Mar 25, 2019, 6:39:53 PM3/25/19
to Nicole G., Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
I too am not for or against these arguments however this barrage of emails is overwhelming and detrimental to Cascadas. If not in value then most definitely to the staff. This will all have an impact on them as well.

I guess my only option is to unsubscribe.

Vicki

Kim D. Curtsinger

Mar 25, 2019, 7:08:57 PM3/25/19
to Victoria Marriott, Nicole G., Shayne Sisson, Daniel Minnis, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
I love my piece of paradise & I will continue to pay my maintenance fee every year. Board my flight & rush to my beautiful villa & enjoy every moment.
That’s what I bought into & that’s what I’m still enjoying for the past 21 years

On Mar 25, 2019, at 3:23 PM, Nicole G. <qtco...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Daniel Minnis

Mar 25, 2019, 9:54:36 PM3/25/19
to Kim D. Curtsinger, Barbara, Club Cascadas Legacy Owners Group, Nicole G., Shayne Sisson, Victoria Marriott, Welcome to Club Cascadas De Baja
It pleases me to see so many members stepping forward to share their feelings about these sensitive matters.  It is truly a shame that it is now a full year of these questions being asked of the board and management and we still cant get a straight answer.  There are Board Members on Facebook and Cascadas groups and Advisory Committee members who follow these threads.  My hat goes off to Erick Malm, not because I agree with him but at least he tries to communicate concerning these matters.  Unfortunately Erick is blinded by the holiness of the Board and may have seen Board Members walk on water when you read his posts.

Let’s recap how this all started.

Daniel Holzkan is disrespectfully fired and escorted off property like a criminal.  Israel De La Torre resigns in protest of how his boss was shamed and humiliated.  Accusations made by Assistant Manager Reyna Gerhardus played a large roll in losing Daniel and Israel.  Reyna may have thought she would step into the manager role and this didn’t happen.  It was then discovered Reyna may have lacked integrity and honesty in these matters and she too was fired but refused to accept her termination and came to the Club daily for some time until she was finally removed and instructed to stay clear of Cascadas.
Aida Trujillo is terminated mid-day, right before sales appointments with members, but told to tell members she resigned and was moving on to bigger and better things.  She refused to lie to us.  Her heart was ripped out and 23 years of dedication, love, and respect for the Club poured down in tears from her face.
Lorenzo, 16 year employee, and other Kitchen and Wait Staff are told “don’t worry your jobs are safe during the transition and Restaurant remodel.  Members are sent notification that the transition will not affect the jobs of these wonderful employees.  Yep, Lorenzo is canned by Remimar Mar at the recommendation of CVI management and told he doesn’t fit the New Plan.

These were management decisions and we are told they are confidential but yet many of us know the details and yes some of the details come from current management.

Let’s create some hypothetical situations for a bit.  2 Employees are caught engaging in a sexual act in one of our Villas.  Would this be grounds for termination?
What if employees showed up to work intoxicated, so intoxicated they had to be taken home by other staff.  Would this be grounds for termination?
What if an employee had slumping unit sales?  Would you fire them or try to develop an improvement plan since they were “Cascadas Family”?
What if an employee took one drink of alcohol while working?  Would you terminate immediately or apply a lessor punishment knowing that you have given passes to intoxicated and sex hungry employees in the past?

Members were devastated and continue to be devastated by the loss of Key Employees.  Many of you say, and the Board says, Mauricio knows what he is doing and these are his decisions to make.  Ok, I say if you are going to make these decisions then you better be consistent in what offenses cause some employees to be terminated and others get a slap on the hand.

Along comes Steve Akers, via this google group, and sees what I and others are posting.  Steve shares with me and others that he has tried diligently for MONTHS to get complete and accurate answers to accounting and planning questions.  Ken Opsata shares with us a very disturbing conversation among board members for all on the beach to hear and watches a board member publicly rip apart a saxophone playing Mexican citizen, on a public beach in front of Cascadas.  This same board members says that if your not from Southern California you shouldn’t be on the board.  Emails come pouring in from other members who have tried to get open communication with the board and are either disappointed with no response or responses that do not address their concerns.

I receive an email from a board member, Glen Brush, threatening to terminate and buying out my 9 weeks of membership.  I then receive another email from board president, Marty Russell, stating that members can freely speak their minds and express their opinions and no one has to fear the board terminating their membership or buying out their units.  Obviously I have very little respect for management and part of the board and I believe my resentment is completely justified by their actions and lack of actions concerning the array of problems we have presented them.

There is NO Election in 2019 but 2020 is just around the corner.  Current Board Members should immediately open up the lines of communications with membership. I don’t need answers to my employee questions, I know the answers, when you love Cascadas as much as I do and spend a month there every year you can get the answers from the relationships you have developed over the years.

We must demand and receive answers to Steve Akers questions.  We must know exactly how CVI operates and need full financial disclosure of CVI and how the new corp Bella Vista will fit into the Cascadas/CVI/Bella Vista marriage.  We must know exactly what happens at the “end of the game”.  How will our investments, our legacy, be distributed in the event of a Sale of Cascadas.

Members and Board need healing!  If the board refuses to open the lines of communication, reveal the details of the Budget, CVI, Bella Vista then we need to find a board who will offer 100% Transparency and we have a year to plan for electing a new board.  Rest assured I will not run for the Board.  I have burnt to many bridges with current management and my plate is full with my current obligations.  I do feel Steve Akers would be an asset and hope he would not decline a run.  Although I do not personally know many members outside of weeks 29-32 names that come to mind are Dennis Bowman, Todd James, Jeff Yurosek, Lisa Vargas, and Barb Merrill. Aida Trujillo would make an excellent Board Member with her 23 years experience in all aspects of Cascadas but she has sold her unit.  I would be willing to donate and title one of my units in her name if she would agree to run for the board.

Please assist us in coming up with other members name who have the desire, skills, and qualifications to make a great board member who will communicate with the membership and bring healing to the Cascadas Family.

Cascadas Strong!