boat yard move and learn to scull

Mike Sullivan

Aug 30, 2020, 4:32:05 PM8/30/20
to Clear Lake Scullers
Scullers

I'm in K'ville for nearly two weeks until about Sept 10.

I checked out things at boat yard, as Carol pointed out the city has put up some fencing for us,  need to figure out how to close up gaps and secure.

Current boat yard not secure,  a portion of fence tore open when blackberry removed, but nothing apparently missing.

I was hoping for a learn to scull class over labor day weekend,  the water quality is poor,  I don't see any bluegreen algae but it looks like it's close to a bloom at any time,  just the green algae this morning.

And of course,  we don't know what's going to happen with smoke in the next week.

My hope is the following:

1.   Announce a learn-to-scull on Sat/Sun/Mon of labor day weekend.   Be prepared to cancel.

2.   Plan on moving the boat yard that weekend,  Sun/Mon into week if need be.
       Tasks to do:

     1.  secure fence and figure out gate situation at new temp location.
     2.  empty out my trailer at my home so we can use it.
     3.  put boats on trailer that wll move across the lot.   Put boats that will leave the boat yard aside
     4   empty out oar boxes,  put oars in trailer
     5.  dismantle and move racks,  reassemble
     6.  move oar boxes.
     7.  trailer across yard and load up racks and boxes.
     8.  load trailer with boats that are leaving.

From a project standpoint,   it would be nice to figure this out so we have a large group of people for  a day to do the heavy lifting,  and smaller group to do what small group can do.

If you look at things needing done,  the heavy lifting will be moving eights, oar boxes, and pipe racks, so if we can figure out clever timing so a large group need be only there once and not all day,  put your project management skills to work!

I've created a google sheet.    This is not a commitment, but to communicate when you are available.

CLS boathouse move

I will modify the sheet for actual scheduling later this week.    Put name in and times that day you are available.  The column on left is for times that are near labor day weekend but not on it.

For eg:  maybe you can't make labor day weekend, but you can put in time Friday morning securing the new yard.

How long will this take?    I think 4-6 ppl can get it done in 6-7 hours of work,  with two times where we need 8-10 ppl for an hour at a time (twice) unless my task list is reordered so we only need 8-10 for one visit.

Comments welcome, but please let me know availability  by the spreadsheet and not by email response, thanks.

If we can't get this together labor day weekend,  I could come back for a couple days later in Sept.  I don't want us to do this if it's still smoky in the air.

You need not be a current member to join in and help,  hopefully you simply recognize the value the rowing club can have for lake county in the future.

Mike

Carol Cole-Lewis

Aug 30, 2020, 8:19:48 PM8/30/20
to Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I marked my availability on the Google sheet. I'm not sure how long I can stay on Sat, but Sun and Monday are wide open

I hope many people will plan to come out - many hands make light and quick work!
Peace,

Carol

Carol Cole-Lewis Pronouns: she, her, hers (why this is important)

Tel: (707) 413-0044

bon...@sbcglobal.net

Aug 31, 2020, 12:57:42 AM8/31/20
to Carol Cole-Lewis, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I’m in, pretty much all weekend- just can’t enter my info to the Google doc. Asked Mike to do it. 😊
Bonnie

Sent from my iPhone

Mike Sullivan

Aug 31, 2020, 1:02:27 AM8/31/20
to Carol Cole-Lewis, bon...@sbcglobal.net, Clear Lake Scullers
I'll do it but you can't get into the doc?   or once there it won't let you type?

Mike Sullivan

Sep 4, 2020, 4:03:11 PM9/4/20
to Clear Lake Scullers
I sent this yesterday and nobody got it.   There is some other CL Scullers on my autocomplete when I filled out the "to"  a user named zverazvera on gmail.

Anyway,   this should work:

On Thursday, September 3, 2020, 05:45:51 PM PDT, Mike Sullivan <suls...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Scullers

Earlier in the week we had  barely enough to accomplish the move safely, and some of you have had your schedule change, thank you for noting on the spreadsheet,  that works well for me    We're too old for a few of us to be hauling eights around,  we need lots of bodies, so calling it.
Smoke is improving, weekend will be hot.

I'm going to cancel the move this weekend,  but would like to have the following done:

1.  Plan the new site,  where the fence access gates will be and move panels accordingly.    Two or three of us should do.    The one issue on that that I can think of is that there is a gap between the two previous fences that people use to get past that fence along shore without having to on the shoreline.

I would like place our gate to the main street side of that gap,   cuts into our yard a bit but I think will avoid hostile locals.

 2   Decide placement of racks, and a game plan for moving.

3.   fasten panels to make it a bit harder to break in without going overboard.   I think wiring it is enough.    Once 1 is done,  people can come in and do that at their own convenience.

4.  I propose 10:30 Sunday morning,  anybody invited to give input.   Won't do physical labor other than move some fence panels around in new lot,  and lots of  head scratching
.

My calendar has me available weekend of Sept 19.   I propose shooting for morning of that Saturday to try to get ten people or so to help move.   I'll put up the spreadsheet again.

I'm still coming Saturday morning to teach sculling,  be there at 7 am,  it'll be a hot day.    The lesson won't be long, but it'll be nicer when it's cool.   I expect to see Cathi there,  let me know if this is problem.   If there's a backlog of learners I missed or if you want a refresher,  see you 7 am.

BTW I've repaired the yellow and blue "24" to good sturdy rowable status and will have it there Saturday.

Mike

Debra Heckert

Sep 4, 2020, 4:25:56 PM9/4/20
to Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I am in Seattle right now (well, thank the Lord not actually IN Seattle, only near Seattle)......not home this weekend, but will put Sat the 19th for an all day work party on my calendar.....If necessary I can probably get Chris and brother-in-law Bruce to help as well....

Debra

Mike Sullivan

Sep 4, 2020, 4:46:47 PM9/4/20
to Debra Heckert, Clear Lake Scullers
The more the merrier.   Thanks

Debra Heckert

Sep 4, 2020, 5:20:00 PM9/4/20
to Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I’ll drag ‘em over if at all possible.
--
Debra

cathiscogin

Sep 4, 2020, 7:58:03 PM9/4/20
to Debra Heckert, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
We have a standing commitment on Sundays but if it get canceled for any reason, I will come and drag my better half.

bon...@sbcglobal.net

Sep 4, 2020, 8:21:14 PM9/4/20
to cathiscogin, Debra Heckert, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I’ll plan on Sunday the 19th. Can’t come tomorrow - get to meet up with the grandgirlies in Marin.

Sent from my iPhone