Fwd: To my friends who sew...

1 view

Suzanne Lee

Mar 29, 2020, 2:21:11 PM3/29/20
to Clear Lake Scullers
There is a real need all over.  The fabric masks are only about 50% effective, but a lot better than nothing!  If you make them with a slit for filters, it helps them be more effective.

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: Suzanne Lee <hawks...@gmail.com>
Date: March 29, 2020 at 11:16:04 AM PDT
To: Lily Barry <lilyba...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re:  To my friends who sew...

I’ve been making masks for SLH.  They are using them in a couple different ways.  They are putting them over the N-95 masks to protect them as they have to wear them for 5 days.  The fabric masks then get sterilized each night. Some of the masks my group have been making have a slit in them.  SLH has a supply of filters that they insert into these masks. I haven’t started making that style yet,  it will still work over the N-95’s.

Do you know if your daughter in law’s hospital has filters?

I send you the patterns I’ve been using.  We haven’t been bothering with wire at the nose.  Also the nurses say that sometimes the masks that tie work better.  Elastic is really hard to come by unless you already have some.
Suzanne

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:13 AM, Lily Barry <lilyba...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,
    I'm reaching out to my friends who sew to find out if any of you have made/are making masks for health care workers. My daughter-in-law, who works in a nursing home in Eureka, called to say that they are now accepting Covid-19 patients. They have 2 boxes of masks left (not sure how big the staff is or how long they are expected to last). She asked me to start making masks.
    I'm more than happy to do this, but would love to have a pattern that is proven to work and know of any issues and/or helpful hints about this from people who've actually made these.
    There are lots of patterns out there on the web, but I'm looking to avoid any mistakes that have been made by others who now know a proven way to do this.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions...
Lily