Learn to Scull in August and boat yard move.

Mike Sullivan

Jul 29, 2020, 11:09:21 PM7/29/20
to Clear Lake Scullers
Scullers

I'm thinking of putting together a couple long weekends to teach new scullers.   I know the lake cleans up a little bit as we get into later august making the water more appealing to newbies.

When I was there a few weeks ago,  there was a bit of an algae bloom but weeds not too bad.

How is it looking now?

I'm also thinking that would be a good time for the boat yard move.     I don't have my august planned yet, but got to start somewhere.

Thinking out loud:   I don't know what the Lake County schools will be doing as to sports in the Fall, or what the academic calendar will look like.   What are the plans for Lakeport and Kelseyville?  Some of you teachers clue me in?

It would seem to be a great opportunity to offer sculling this fall for HS kids,  particularly if some of the sports are cancelled or delayed.  I can put together eight singles.   If I'm in Kelseyville next fall I'll be happy to teach it,  but don't know if that's the case yet.

Hope you are all healthy and hanging in.

Carol Cole-Lewis

Jul 30, 2020, 1:24:53 PM7/30/20
to Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
The lake is a bit weedy - it's OK beyond the buoys, but closer in it's a bit dicey for newbies. A few days with the temp below 95 would help.

What a great idea about a fall sport activity for the HS kids!!
Peace,

Carol

Carol Cole-Lewis Pronouns: she, her, hers (why this is important)

Tel: (707) 413-0044

Debra Heckert

Jul 30, 2020, 2:29:01 PM7/30/20
to Carol Cole-Lewis, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I agree, Carol-Mike has a great idea in the event these poor kids are not going to be able to go back to school.  I will be happy to assist in any way I can, as well as the big move!
Debra

mariette...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2020, 4:12:22 PM7/30/20
to Carol Cole-Lewis, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
Hi Mike, that is a great idea about fall sports. Hopefully you’ll be able to work something out.

By when do we need to move the boatyard? I want to make sure I’m available to help as needed.

Cheers,
Mariette

Sent from my iPhone

Maile

Jul 30, 2020, 4:45:52 PM7/30/20
to Debra Heckert, Carol Cole-Lewis, Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
On the east coast crew is an exceedingly popular high school sport. My son, Chance Crail, joined his high school crew team in Virginia when we moved there in 2010. There were between 120 and 150 kids on the team. Far more than any other sport....this is at a high school of 2400 students.

A couple kids from his team got full ride scholarships to Ivy League schools for rowing.

Maile

Sent from my iPhone

Bonnie Tringali

Jul 30, 2020, 8:38:39 PM7/30/20
to Mike Sullivan, Clear Lake Scullers
I’ll help move,

Sent from my iPad

Mike Sullivan

Jul 30, 2020, 9:06:28 PM7/30/20
to Carol Cole-Lewis, mariette...@gmail.com, Clear Lake Scullers
to answer Mariette's question,  we can move any time from now until December.   The limiting factor is me figuring out a time I can be there, and we need to give the city two weeks notice when we're ready to move so they can do some prep work.   I'd like to do it soon as possible in case I'm not in town in fall.

Please correct me if I have this wrong.

cathiscogin

Jul 31, 2020, 1:21:47 AM7/31/20
to Mike Sullivan, Carol Cole-Lewis, mariette...@gmail.com, Clear Lake Scullers
I'll help move also. I have a few vacation coming up so hopefully the times work out.

Debra Heckert

Jul 31, 2020, 9:18:38 PM7/31/20
to Mike Sullivan, Carol Cole-Lewis, Clear Lake Scullers, mariette...@gmail.com
Hopefully we can do while the weather is still good. I am a fair weather helper, and while I will still help during inclement weather...I will whine😉

--
Debra

Carol Cole-Lewis