Unified Cloud Interface (UCI)

Reuven Cohen

Nov 24, 2008, 1:02:14 PM11/24/08
to cloud...@googlegroups.com, clouds...@googlegroups.com, cloud...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to take a moment to explain my cloud interoperability ideas.
After various conversations, my concept is starting to take shape and
is based on what I'm called the "unified cloud interface" (aka cloud
broker). The cloud broker will serve as a common interface for the
interaction with remote platforms, systems, networks, data, identity,
applications and services. A common set of cloud definitions will
enable vendors to exchange management information between remote cloud
providers.

The unified cloud interface (UCI) or cloud broker will be composed of
a specification and a schema. The schema provides the actual model
descriptions, while the specification defines the details for
integration with other management models. UCI will be implemented as
an extension to the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
specifically as a XMPP Extension Protocol or XEP.

The unified cloud model will address both Platform as a service
offerings such as Google App Engine, Azure and Force.com as well as
infrastructure cloud platforms such as Amazon EC2. Ultimately this
model will enable a decentralized yet extensible hybrid cloud
computing environment with a focus on secure global asynchronous
communication.

Once we are in general agreement on the draft proposal, it will be
submitted for approval by the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF)
for inclusion as a XMPP Extension and presented at the IEEE
International Workshop on Cloud Computing (Cloud 2009) being held in
May 18-21, 2009, in Shanghai, China.

My draft is based on a combination of working being done in
conjunction to XMPP, CIM, Xam and several other standardization
efforts.

Reuven Cohen
Founder & Chief Technologist, Enomaly Inc.
blog > www.elasticvapor.com
-
Open Source Cloud Computing > www.enomaly.com