Security Virtualization

satya

Jul 31, 2009, 10:36:08 AM7/31/09
to Cloud Security Alliance
Is there any relationship between virtualization and cloud computing
security? Cloud can host group of virtual servers where application
and its data can reside. now as part of security guidelines where will
security apply is it at the cloud level, virtual server, or at
application level.

There are lots of technologies on cloud computing specially related to
distributed file system i.e. Hadoop, GFS, distributed database i.e.
SimpleDB, HyperTable, BigTable, and distributed execution framework
i.e. Map-Reduce etc. however none of these address any of security
concerns. Similar example applies to virtualization solution from
VMWare, Hypervisor etc.

Feel free to share ideas, details on security domain related to
virtualization and cloud computing. I would appreciate your feedback.

prax

Aug 3, 2009, 5:16:32 AM8/3/09
to Cloud Security Alliance
Hi,

Virtualization is a subset of cloud computing. There is a heavy
reliance on virtualization in cloud computing environment. I feel
security should be implemented at all layers and I see a scope for
customized implementation of security, something on the lines of
layered mechanism of defense.

There is a good whitepaper from Amazon on its security implementation.
I am not finding the option to attach from the web reply, I will
upload it later.

Regards,
Prasanna

uelintons

Aug 12, 2009, 4:34:04 PM8/12/09
to Cloud Security Alliance
Prasanna,

I agree with you about layered defense.
I believe that architecture should consider AAAA (Authentication,
Authorization, Admission Control and Accounting).

I think the reference you mentioned can be found here:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/aws_blog/AWS_Security_Whitepaper_2008_09.pdf

Regards,

Uelinton