Disbale Frequency Scaling from BIOS

Aqsa Kashaf

Jan 14, 2022, 12:05:35 AM1/14/22
to cloudlab-users
Hi,

For some of my experiments, I need consistent performance and dynamic frequency scaling in the wisconsin c220g2 is interfering with that. I need to disable it from BIOS including intel speed step. Can someone please help me with that?

Regards,
Aqsa

Mike Hibler

Jan 16, 2022, 11:12:18 AM1/16/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
I can fix the BIOS manually if it is just a small number of nodes?
Just let me know which one(s).
> --
> cloudlab-users/17a1f0e8-72e6-4969-839b-f983808d6105n%40googlegroups.com.

Aqsa Kashaf

Jan 19, 2022, 3:18:42 AM1/19/22
to cloudlab-users
Here are the settings that I found relevent to this in the M4 servers spec:

disble intel speedstep
disable C states
disable hyperthreading
Energy or performance bias set to maximum performance
Power technology setting must be set to custom otherwise other settings won't take effect.

I will really appreciate the help on this.

Mike Hibler

Jan 19, 2022, 9:33:16 AM1/19/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
I tried tweaking a few more settings on your node to approximate this.
See if that made any difference.
> cloudlab-users/f5c0d5ef-6d3f-4279-998b-fbc6999d74a4n%40googlegroups.com.

Aqsa Kashaf

Jan 21, 2022, 3:51:03 AM1/21/22
to cloudlab-users
I am not able to extend this experiment. I get message that it is sched-reserved. I still need this node for a week.  Can something be done about it?

Leigh Stoller

Jan 21, 2022, 9:51:16 AM1/21/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com

> I am not able to extend this experiment. I get message that it is sched-reserved. I still need this node for a week. Can something be done about it?

Hi, can you remind me which node you are referring to?

Leigh

Aqsa Kashaf

Jan 21, 2022, 12:33:35 PM1/21/22
to cloudlab-users
This is the node I am referring to: c220g2-011323. Thank you

Leigh Stoller

Jan 21, 2022, 1:20:10 PM1/21/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com

> This is the node I am referring to: c220g2-011323. Thank you

Okay, extended for a week.

Leigh

Vikram Narayanan

Jan 26, 2022, 4:27:10 PM1/26/22
to cloudlab-users
On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 12:18:42 AM UTC-8 aqsa....@gmail.com wrote:
Here are the settings that I found relevent to this in the M4 servers spec:

disble intel speedstep
disable C states
disable hyperthreading
Energy or performance bias set to maximum performance
Power technology setting must be set to custom otherwise other settings won't take effect.

Except for the last one on the list, we control everything using software. Here's a script that we use in our projects.
disables turbo, c-states, puts the cpu to constant freq
control HT (toggle, on, off)

Ideally, it should work on any Linux distro.

~Vikram

Aqsa Kashaf

Jan 26, 2022, 11:40:12 PM1/26/22
to cloudlab-users