How to add virtual machine to host network

CALEB FONYUY-ASHERI S

May 27, 2024, 5:22:28 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I have created an experiment in which I run xen on two hosts connected by a VLAN.
On each of these I have been able to create a bridge xenbr0 which I want to use to include my virtual machine to this network.

I tried assigning a  random static address that respects the VLAN definition but this does not work. How can I achieve this please?

My aim here is to be able to communicate between the virtual machine and both hosts in my network as well as access the internet from my virtual machine.

Thank you in advance

Caleb

Leigh Stoller

May 27, 2024, 9:41:13 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com

> I have created an experiment in which I run xen on two hosts connected by a VLAN.
> On each of these I have been able to create a bridge xenbr0 which I want to use to include my virtual machine to this network.
>
> I tried assigning a random static address that respects the VLAN definition but this does not work. How can I achieve this please?

Hi. It is very difficult to do this on your own, it will be way easier
to just use Cloudlab’s XEN support. The default profile (small-lan)
has a check box to use Xen VMs. Try that instead.

Leigh

CALEB FONYUY-ASHERI S

May 27, 2024, 9:44:15 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response. I would have loved to do that but unfortunately, I am using a custom version of xen to which I have made some changes.

Do you at least have any ideas I could try ? Please let me know.

Mike Hibler

May 27, 2024, 10:24:43 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
If the bridge you are creating is on your experiment-defined network (10.x.x.x
IPs), you should be able to connect in the VM with an address you assign.
However, the VM will not be able to reach the internet unless you explicitly
set up NAT on one of the physical hosts to allow it.

What you should NOT do is bridge the VM onto the control network and assign
an arbitrary IP from our registered IP space.

When you use the Cloudlab mechanism to allocate VMs and request "routable IPs"
for the VMs, then we will assign available IPs from our dynamic pool to bridge
the VMs onto the control net. Separately, we will bridge them into the
experiment's network topology as required.

I am not sure you request a dynamic IP for your use without going through
the Cloudlab VM mechanism.
> CA%2BR5_Cb6EXhkMZq3YikfbtJVu5n%3Du%3DSBXXwsKRfEffHs36HZXw%40mail.gmail.com.

CALEB FONYUY-ASHERI S

May 28, 2024, 1:12:25 AMMay 28
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this explicit explanation Mike.

I finally found out why my VM could not access the network. I had some complementary configurations to do inside the VM itself: I needed to explicitly
set the static Ip from inside the VM.

As for internet connection, I have not achieved that yet but will try to find what to do or in the worst case scenario redesign my experiment.

Thanks again for your help.