How to change network topology

Gaokai Zhang

May 26, 2024, 5:10:13 PMMay 26
to cloudlab-users
How can I set the network topology of nodes (we've reserved 6 nodes) into "full mesh"(where every two of the nodes are connected), "shared link" (where each of the nodes is connected to a root node) and some customized settings? I can drag the node when "finalizing" an experiment but I can't change the way the nodes are connected.

Leigh Stoller

May 27, 2024, 9:46:19 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com

> How can I set the network topology of nodes (we've reserved 6 nodes) into "full mesh"(where every two of the nodes are connected), "shared link" (where each of the nodes is connected to a root node) and some customized settings? I can drag the node when "finalizing" an experiment but I can't change the way the nodes are connected.

Hi. Are you using the Jacks GUI to build your topology? The GUI is intended
for simple topologies. For complex topologies you will need to use python
directly. Click on the docs button in upper right, then select Example Profiles.
There are lots of example profiles to build on.

The default “small-lan” profile sounds like what you want for a shared link.
There is also a "full-mesh” profile.

Leigh

Mike Hibler

May 27, 2024, 10:06:47 AMMay 27
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Be aware also that a full mesh topology requires each of the 6 nodes be
connected to 5 others and thus requires 5 network interfaces per host.
Our machines do not have that many physical interfaces that are wired to
the switch fabric and thus we have to use "link multiplexing" to achieve
this topology (which the "full-mesh" profile does). This means that each
of your logical links is going to be a separate VLAN over the same physical
link and sharing the bandwidth of that link. So if you are hoping to push
10Gbps continuously over each of your topology links, you will not be able
to do that.