Strange behavior of reservations

Jae-Won Chung

Jan 22, 2022, 9:29:43 PM1/22/22
to cloudlab-users
Hi,

I created a reservation for 4 r7525 nodes (UUID 3433a7f4-782d-11ec-b318-e4434b2381fc) in the Clemson cluster. However, when I tried to create an experiment with 4 r7525 nodes (right after the start time of the reservation), it erred saying that only 1 r7525 node is available. And for some reason, all four of the four reserved nodes was marked as "used" in the reservation tab in the user dashboard. I figured it must be another experiment in our project group that's using our reservation, so I just let it be. Then, after six hours, I got a reservation cancellation notice, which said that we're not using the reserved nodes. Hoping that it will change something, I created an experiment with 1 r7525 node (UUID 75db64d8-7bf1-11ec-b318-e4434b2381fc).

I honestly have no idea what's going on. Could you look into what happened?

Thanks,
Jae-Won

Leigh Stoller

Jan 23, 2022, 11:43:08 AM1/23/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Reservations are per-project, and at the moment eight r7525 nodes
are in use by GAIA project. You will need to coordinate with your
other project members to avoid stepping on each other’s reservations.

Leigh

Jae-Won Chung

Jan 23, 2022, 11:48:17 AM1/23/22
to cloudlab-users
Thank you for your reply.

Should all reserved nodes be used to prevent the cancellation of a reservation? Or is using just a portion of the reserved nodes enough?

Thanks!
Jae-Won

Leigh Stoller

Jan 24, 2022, 8:43:09 AM1/24/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
As long as you (the creator of the reservation) use at least part
of the reservation in the first six hours, it will not be canceled.
In general, if you leave a reservation underused after that, we will
cancel it. Underused means a utilization of under 50-75%. It depends
on how popular the node type is, leaving nodes unused means other
users might not be able to get their work done too.

Jae-Won Chung

Jan 24, 2022, 9:33:58 AM1/24/22
to cloudlab-users
I see. Thank you!!