How to use a specific interface?

Marco Faltelli

Jun 1, 2022, 6:08:29 AM6/1/22
to cloudlab-users
Hi,
I'm trying to connect two servers between them using a specific NIC.
How can I state in the profile code which specific interface I want to use? And where can I find the specific ID for each NIC I'd like to use?
I've tried to use something like:

iface1 = node.addInterface('interface-2')
iface1.component_id = "ens3f1"

But in this case the experiment startup fails, I've also seen that the interface names (retrieved using ifconfig) change among the same type of nodes so I'm not sure which one I should use.

Thank you,
Marco Faltelli

Leigh Stoller

Jun 1, 2022, 9:57:22 AM6/1/22
to cloudla...@googlegroups.com
Hi. In general we do not recommend this since it is very error prone,
the resource mapper is much better at wiring things together than humans. :-)
You are better off specifying the speed of the link in your profile so
the resource mapper picks the correct interface (one that is actually wired
to a switch, instead of the many interfaces on each node that are not
connected to anything).

But if you must, tell us what node type and we will tell you how to
find the correct component id names to use.

Leigh