cloudkit and jruby?

Neville

Aug 9, 2009, 12:21:05 AM8/9/09
to CloudKit
Hi,

Does Cloudkit run under JRuby?

Does it have any core binary dependencies that might tie it to MRI ?

Neville

Aug 9, 2009, 12:26:46 AM8/9/09
to CloudKit
> Does Cloudkit run under JRuby?

To answer my own post, unfortunately no:

C:\Users\nev>jgem install cloudkit
ERROR: Error installing cloudkit:

d:/JRuby/131/bin/../bin/jruby.bat extconf.rb
d:/JRuby/131/bin/../lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:7: JRuby does not support
native extensions. Check wiki.jruby.org for alternatives.
(NotImplementedError)
from d:/JRuby/131/bin/../lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:1:in `require'
from extconf.rb:1

Gem files will remain installed in D:/JRuby/131/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
json-1.1.7 for inspection.
Results logged to D:/JRuby/131/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/json-1.1.7/ext/
json/ext/generator/gem_make.out

Neville

Aug 9, 2009, 12:36:40 AM8/9/09
to CloudKit
well, I just found json_pure.gem so I'm going to try that in cloudkit.

Jon Crosby

Aug 17, 2009, 8:44:06 PM8/17/09
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Neville,

If you install the json-jruby gem, CloudKit should work under JRuby. If not, please let me know. All of the specs are passing for me locally after installing that gem (using JRuby 1.3.1). I'll update the gemspec so that it chooses the correct one when installed with jgem.

-Jon

Neville

Aug 18, 2009, 4:12:15 AM8/18/09
to CloudKit
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reply.

FYI, cloudkit + json_pure.gem works jun fine under JRuby.

I'll also take a look at json_jruby also.

On Aug 18, 10:44 am, Jon Crosby <jon.r.cro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Neville,
> If you install the json-jruby gem, CloudKit should work under JRuby. If not,
> please let me know. All of the specs are passing for me locally after
> installing that gem (using JRuby 1.3.1). I'll update the gemspec so that it
> chooses the correct one when installed with jgem.
>
> -Jon

Maksym Parkachov

Sep 27, 2009, 2:44:58 PM9/27/09
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon, Neville,

I'm trying to install the cloudkit gem under jruby, but it still tries
to compile the json gem, and, obviously, fails. I tried to install
json_jruby and json_pure before, but it doesn't change the error.

How did you manage to get it working ?

Regards,
Maksym

Jon Crosby

Sep 27, 2009, 11:12:26 PM9/27/09
to clou...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Maksym Parkachov <lazy....@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Jon, Neville,

I'm trying to install the cloudkit gem under jruby, but it still tries
to compile the json gem, and, obviously, fails. I tried to install
json_jruby and json_pure before, but it doesn't change the error.

How did you manage to get it working ?

Maksym,

The quickest way to get it working is to first install the regular gem. This will fail on the native extension gems, but will take care of everything else. Next, check out the jsonquery branch on GitHub and install json-jruby as you noted. At that point, you should be able to run "rake" at the root of the project and see the specs running under JRuby.

One note, I have pulled out most most of CloudKit::Resource into a pure JavaScript implementation on an experimental local branch. This code base should work in both the browser and on the server once it is ready. Until then, just beware that things may change rapidly for a few weeks as it solidifies under the new JRuby/Rhino architecture. I'll push this work to GitHub as soon as the basic outline is ready so that others can jump in if they are interested.

-Jon

Maksym Parkachov

Sep 28, 2009, 5:27:20 AM9/28/09
to clou...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jon,

thanks for the answer. I'll try to do it in the next couple of days.
My final goal to get it working under google appengine.
The mapping of key store to the bigtable shouldn't be too complicated.
And after jsonquery and jsonschema things are working :) it will get
me everything I need.

Thanks,
Maksym.