Moneta

Paul Jones

Mar 10, 2009, 6:42:00 AM3/10/09
to CloudKit
Hi,

I've just come across CloudKit, and I'd like to complement you on
building a pretty cool app.

With the support you've just added for Tokyo Cabinet, I was wondering
if you'd ever come across Moneta? (http://github.com/wycats/moneta/
tree/master). It would let CloudKit support a while bunch of different
Key/Value stores without actually requiring CloudKit to implement
support for them all.

Thanks,
Paul.

Jon Crosby

Mar 10, 2009, 11:46:04 PM3/10/09
to clou...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Paul Jones <paulj...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I've just come across CloudKit, and I'd like to complement you on
building a pretty cool app.

Thanks, Paul.

With the support you've just added for Tokyo Cabinet, I was wondering
if you'd ever come across Moneta? (http://github.com/wycats/moneta/
tree/master
). It would let CloudKit support a while bunch of different
Key/Value stores without actually requiring CloudKit to implement
support for them all.

I agree with you. Prior to using Rufus::Tokyo directly, I attempted to use Moneta for the reasons that you mention. It is still a long term goal that I have been brainstorming with Yehuda. Basically, Moneta is for straight key/value stores at the moment whereas CloudKit needs to have fast indexing on stored properties for non-URI lookups and especially the upcoming JSONQuery support. Tokyo Tables provide this with queries whereas using Moneta would require either doing this in ruby or building some sort of extension to do this in C.

I am writing specs for this right now and will push them to GitHub on a jsonquery branch. Once we know exactly what we need, we can see if there is a way to abstract their implementation.

-Jon

Thanks,
Paul.