Re: Draft of Table of Contents for Cloud Computing Use Cases White Paper V3

tluk...@exnihilum.com

Jan 12, 2010, 10:17:43 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

>> "You don't see anyone bitching about the definition of "client-server" now do you"

No, Sam.. but neither do you see anyone forming "Client-Server Security" groups either. You're smart enough to understand what my point was. And I won't even comment on your "Cloud computing is adequately defined" remark -- other than to say that it's as adequately defined as "client-server" is.

TJL

Jan 12, 2010, 10:20:40 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:17 PM, tluk...@exnihilum.com <tluk...@exnihilum.com> wrote:

>> "You don't see anyone bitching about the definition of "client-server" now do you"

No, Sam.. but neither do you see anyone forming "Client-Server Security" groups either.

What, you mean like the Client/Server Security Standards Task Force (ca 1995)?

Sam

tluk...@exnihilum.com

Jan 12, 2010, 10:55:05 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

>> "What, you mean like the Client/Server Security Standards Task Force (ca 1995)?"

Seriously Sam, one obscure (ambitiously named) group that published one single paper 15 years ago?

>> "You dont see anyone bitching about the definition of "client-server" now do you"

Sam Johnston

Jan 12, 2010, 11:12:35 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:55 PM, tluk...@exnihilum.com <tluk...@exnihilum.com> wrote:

>> "What, you mean like the Client/Server Security Standards Task Force (ca 1995)?"

Seriously Sam, one obscure (ambitiously named) group that published one single paper 15 years ago?

In 15 years the CSA could well be referred to as "one obscure (ambitiously named) group that published one single paper 15 years ago" too. Remember that a lot of the work we were doing back then wasn't necessarily committed to the Internet (though some of it made it into usenet groups like comp.client-server), and we cared a lot less about security back then too.

My point is simply that we've been here before, and we may well go here again (though it's hard to imagine how/what/when).

Sam