Re: Draft of Table of Contents for Cloud Computing Use Cases White Paper V3

tluk...@exnihilum.com

Jan 12, 2010, 11:11:05 AM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

>> "There appears to be some amount of overlap here with the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) work"

Unfortunately, it's broad enough to "overlap" pretty much any Cloud Security initiative out there, don't you think?

TJL

Jan 12, 2010, 11:24:25 AM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

But as any other work developed using as its bases the Cloud Computing paradigm, the security analisis tends to be as broader as the players (speciallist, evangelists, etc...) can do it.

I don't think this is a problem, on the contrary, I think that at this point this is very interesting. As a deployment or business model, Cloud Computing could only move forward if all the players are able to understand in what way the work developed until know could help and how it should be integrated and articulated with the work developed by the "neighbour" technology, paradigm, product, etc. And in order to be able to accomplish this, a broader study is need...

Paulo

--
http://pcalcada.name

tluk...@exnihilum.com

Jan 12, 2010, 11:46:59 AM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

>> "I dont think this is a problem, on the contrary,"

I apologize if my comment seemed too negative -- I didn't mean it to be a case of "hit and run". The concern that I have is that (in an "elephant in the room" way) everyone seems to be overlooking the fact that "Security in the Cloud" is a superset of "Security on the ground", and behaving as if it's somehow possible to "solve" the Cloud Security problem when it has yet to be "solved" outside of the Cloud.

TJL

2010/1/12 tluk...@exnihilum.com <tluk...@exnihilum.com>

>> "There appears to be some amount of overlap here with the Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) work"

Unfortunately, its broad enough to "overlap" pretty much any Cloud Security initiative out there, dont you think?

Paulo Calcada

Jan 12, 2010, 12:05:32 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I think this is happening because we are talking about security, and if something fails in this field the whole business could be compromised.

Paulo

--
http://pcalcada.name

Gary Mazz

Jan 12, 2010, 12:13:37 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like we may be fitting too much in a "security" model and we
actually needed a broader cloud governance use model(s) that includes
security as a set of governance priorities.

gary

Paulo Calcada

Jan 12, 2010, 12:23:51 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree, Governance is the word. But is very difficult to deploy governance policies if we don't have a well defined set of security policies, methodologies, technologies, etc...

2010/1/12 Gary Mazz <garymaz...@gmail.com>

--
http://pcalcada.name

tluk...@exnihilum.com

Jan 12, 2010, 12:47:17 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

>> "This sounds like we may be fitting too much in a "security" model.."

The "S" word is literally unbounded at any level -- from a 'macro' to a 'micro' scope.

Even when discussing something as "simple" as a single message between point 'A' and point 'B', and the requirements state that it must be "secure", does this mean 'confidentiality' (needs to be encrypted).. 'integrity' (needs a checksum).. 'privacy' (needs access control).. all of these?

So when trying to address Security for something as (arguably) ill-defined as "Cloud Computing" we can end up lost in a swamp very quickly.

TJL

gary mazzaferro

Jan 12, 2010, 2:38:14 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I think we are swimming in it, neck height right now.

I prefer to use the term governance, although its misnomer and not applicable to point solutions or technologies. Governance does give us a broader framework to define entities (assets and actors), relationships, activities and roles. At the least it can provide a way for us to discuss ideas & expectations, document mandates and abstract complexities to simpler terms. Specifying technologies is a practice (implementation) which, IMO, exceeds the scope of a use case.

-g

Sam Johnston

Jan 12, 2010, 8:46:15 PM1/12/10
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:47 PM, tluk...@exnihilum.com <tluk...@exnihilum.com> wrote:

So when trying to address Security for something as (arguably) ill-defined as "Cloud Computing" we can end up lost in a swamp very quickly.

Cloud computing is adequately defined, though to the chagrin of many its' definition (while accurate) lacks precision. You don't see anyone bitching about the definition of "client-server" now do you, and yet that applies to pretty much everything we use computers for today. Let's leave definition discussions in 2007 where they belong.

Anyway it wasn't my intention to post to the peanut gallery - I inadvertently responded to the copy here rather than the original thread in the cloud- computing-use-cases group. Apologies.

Sam