Moving Forward - Google Docs as a Course

Michael Henry

Apr 7, 2012, 7:32:51 PM4/7/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
I realize this group has been pretty quite.  I don't see that as a bad thing.  We are all experimenting.

Currently, I am experimenting with Google Docs as an LMS platform.  All of the student tracking and enrollment is done through Docs and Sites.  It is not ready for testing by others yet... but soon.

I am very interested to see or hear from others who are using a completely Google environment for teaching.  My goal is to have our class open and free to the public, by this Summer 2012.  The class is called "DTL - Digital Teaching and Learning."  The purpose is to help participants develop digital learning skills - Searching, Researching, Credible Sources, Bias, Synthesis and Analysis.  Participants will then become teachers and share what they learn with others.  More to come.

Michael.

Ravindra Dastikop

Apr 8, 2012, 12:39:47 AM4/8/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hello Michael Henry

Here is teaching blog that uses only google resources

http://cloudcomputingcourse.blogspot.com
http://dastikop.blogspot.com

regards

Ravindra Dastikop
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
SDM College of Engineering and Technology
Dharwad 580 002  India

Contact:
Phone: 91 836 2447465
Cell   : +91 99 808 73 130
Email: ravindra...@gmail.com

Blog
http://dastikop.blogspot.com

Michael Henry

Jun 4, 2012, 6:48:44 PM6/4/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

If there are still any interested collaborators out there, looking to use Google Apps, Google Docs in an LMS type environment, I would love to chat.  (I am subscribed to this discussion, so feel free to reply.)

We are very close to a test launch of a Spanish Language course called "CadaDiaSpanish" using only Google tools, and yet combining some of the same administrative features of a Learning Management System LMS.

The course public site is at this address:  http://cadadiaspanish.blogspot.com/

You will need to be registered to see the full course site.

Michael Henry
eLearning Producer
Point-Productions
Online2Learn

Jon Edwards

Jun 5, 2012, 12:57:36 AM6/5/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Michael, and everyone else on the list...
I'd definitely be interested in collaborating with people to put some ideas together. I will definitely have a look at your site.

I'm also working on the same sort of project: creating an online course that makes use of Google tools. I'm able to publish learning content (on Blogger / a Google Site) and create interactive elements (including self-grading quizzes using GForms). However, one problem that is proving to be especially tricky is creating a log-in and linking that to some sort of tool (database?) for keeping track of students progress. What I'd like to do is have students log in to the Google Site, and then whenever they complete learning objectives, quizzes, etc. that information is stored and is accessible next time they log in. This kind of system would make the site closer to a real LMS than just a repository of learning materials (which is what it is now).  I've done a little experimenting with using GSpreadsheets to store user data, but it isn't working too well. Have you solved this problem?

Regards,
Jon

Orçun Madran

Jun 5, 2012, 2:17:01 AM6/5/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I am still using most of Google tools on my teaching processes. Nowadays I focus Google Currents. I create my content on Google Docs  and import them from docs to Google Currents by using Google Producer. This is a very good solution for mobile platforms.

Best...
--
Orçun Madran
www.madran.net

Michael Henry

Jun 5, 2012, 10:43:13 AM6/5/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
Jon,

I am very happy to see your post.  This is the missing link.  I am going to post a new topic called:  Cloudcourse - Missing Link.  I will share your description and add some of the features I have in CadaDiaSpanish.

I use Google Groups for the "Sign On."  The problem is using those same credentials for a gradebook or tracking mechanism.  Google analytics has this function...  I am hoping there is a google solution for this problem.

Michael

vreten

Jun 5, 2012, 7:24:43 PM6/5/12
to cloudcourse
One way we used to do it is to include a link to the quiz at the end,
that quiz can be a google docs form. You might even be able to get
fancy to pass some variables over on the query string like the course
name, etc.
Another variation is to tell them the link to the form is they can
print their completion diploma, they type their name, merge it with a
diploma doc and there is your tracking. Since you require them to
login it should also store their name.

With analytic you would have to custom field, set their name in the
field, then track their progress using the conversions function, it
would be kinda weird.

On Jun 5, 10:43 am, Michael Henry <online2le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jon,
>
> I am very happy to see your post.  This is the missing link.  I am going to
> post a new topic called:  Cloudcourse - Missing Link.  I will share your
> description and add some of the features I have in CadaDiaSpanish.
>
> I use Google Groups for the "Sign On."  The problem is using those same
> credentials for a gradebook or tracking mechanism.  Google analytics has
> this function...  I am hoping there is a google solution for this problem.
>
> Michael
>

> On Monday, June 4, 2012 11:57:36 PM UTC-5, Jon Edwards wrote:
>
> > Hi, Michael, and everyone else on the list...
> > I'd definitely be interested in collaborating with people to put some
> > ideas together. I will definitely have a look at your site.
>
> > I'm also working on the same sort of project: creating an online course
> > that makes use of Google tools. I'm able to publish learning content (on
> > Blogger / a Google Site) and create interactive elements (including
> > self-grading quizzes using GForms). However, one problem that is proving to
> > be especially tricky is *creating a log-in* and linking that to some sort
> > of tool (database?) for *keeping track of students progress*. What I'd

Michael Henry

Jun 7, 2012, 11:44:29 AM6/7/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

I think we all agree that there are the resources available in Google Docs/Apps/Groups.  The issue is to find a way to administratively combine them for teaching.

Right now, I am using Google Groups to facilitate my class.  All activities are submitted in Google Groups.  This is important, because student to student feedback is vital in my courses.

What I would like to see is a way to show individual activity in the group.  Can we show how often an individual posts?

Also, is there a way to publish a test or assessment using Forms/Spreadsheet, and attach scores and the google ID in a gradebook?  We would need to find away to publish results back to the student, teacher and mentor for each assessment.  (Preferably in one report with overall activity in the course.)

I think we are very close to something valuable for online students/teachers/mentors.

Michael

Michael Henry

Jun 8, 2012, 10:35:03 AM6/8/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com
The best example of Student tracking is in the Khann Academy.  (See http://youtu.be/DLt6mMQH1OY)

There is a knowledge map, which are linked modules for progressively more complex topics, linked to the previous topic.  Exercises and assessments are linked to a tracking mechanism for review by an administrator, teacher or mentor... or the student.

Is there anything in Google analytics to match this type of activity reporting?

Michael

Jon Edwards

Jun 8, 2012, 4:31:04 PM6/8/12
to cloud...@googlegroups.com

Hi, everyone.

I have been thinking about how to build an LMS on Google's infrastructure and doing a little research, and I think that the way to go is to use Google Sites and Google Docs for the 'front end'. And for the 'back end,' you would need to set up a structured database on Google Cloud DB SQL to store all of the user data. To push and pull data between them, and to facilitate the automation (self - grading quizzes, grade spreadsheets, email status reports, etc.), I think Google Apps Script has a lot of these capabilities.

In theory, I am pretty sure this is how it could work, but I need someone with more technical expertise in these areas to confirm this and offer some guidance and support.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jon