Latency

Jud

May 15, 2009, 10:29:46 AM5/15/09
to CloudCache.ws
Quetzal's website quotes "1.5 ms" latency but I don't have enough
context to fully understand what the latency is between. Is that 1.5ms
from request receipt, to beginning of response, or does it take into
account the cross Ec2 instance overhead/latency? If the latter, that
feels faster than Ec2 instances are able to talk to eachother.
Clarification would be appreciated.

Jud - Gnip, Inc

CloudMarc

May 15, 2009, 12:27:42 PM5/15/09
to CloudCache.ws
Hi Jud,

The figure was arrived at by testing using siege on a machine in the
same availability zone as the service, using private IP addresses.
The siege was configured to use http/1.1 connection keep-alive and
pipelining (which the service is also designed to provide). This
intra-availability zone approach is the target usage of the service,
especially for performance and load testing and production, although
development and integration testing is easily done from anywhere.
We're still trying to figure out how to automate the location of the
CloudCache server in the same availability zone as the request -
meanwhile it can be manually configured - let us know which
availabilty zone(s) you're in and we'll provide intra-cloud IP
addresses for using the service there.

I hope this clarifies - please let me know if you have more questions.

Cheers,

Marc

CloudMarc

Jud