Jpeg exit metadata

Big Data Mining

Dec 21, 2020, 2:40:17 PM12/21/20
to cloud-vision-discuss
Since the last version, Google Vision has been applying EXIF ROTATION before OCRing the image.

This is a new behavior, because Vision did not consider these attributes before.

We are concerned with this type of change. We did not find any information about that in the documentation or even in the "release notes" and it affects our services considerably.

Until when will the versioning of this service be so precarious?

Gurkomal (Cloud Platform Support)

Dec 23, 2020, 5:31:26 PM12/23/20
to cloud-vision-discuss
Hello,

This additional feature may have been bundled with the OCR upgrade on May 15th 2020 [1]. The legacy model was available until November 15th [2] to help existing users migrate to the newer model.

If the upgrade is severely impacting your environment, can you please submit a Public Issue [3] and provide sample images as well as a small description of expected vs actual results?

Big Data Mining

Dec 27, 2020, 8:40:51 AM12/27/20
to cloud-vision-discuss
Thanks by your feedback. "EXIF Rotation" feature in not listed on release notes.

Monica (Google Cloud Platform)

Dec 29, 2020, 11:15:25 AM12/29/20
to cloud-vision-discuss
Hello,
We would need to check whether the new behavior you are seeing is WAI (working as intended). This feature is related on how the picture's metadata are handled so possibly influenced by change of environments. The model is constantly improved to include various use cases. Please open a public issue tracker with reproduction steps so we can have a closer look.

Big Data Mining

Jan 2, 2021, 7:51:30 AM1/2/21
to cloud-vision-discuss
Good Morning, Honestly, Google’s lack of communication with its customers is worrying.

Changes of this nature considerably affect the use of the API, since this functionality was not supported by "Vision" and the applications were built considering this premise!

Sujoy Basu

Jan 22, 2021, 3:35:03 PM1/22/21
to cloud-vision-discuss
Hello,
We have identified the root cause and will fix the issue soon. Thanks for your patience.  There was no communication in release notes since the change was not intentional. Most features within Vision API has benefited from EXIF rotation, unlike this OCR use case.

Deric Ferreira

Jan 22, 2021, 4:08:01 PM1/22/21
to Sujoy Basu, cloud-vision-discuss
Hello,

Thanks by Feedback.

But this time it will be communicated through the release notes? The version with the current behavior will be available until when? These unexpected changes have caused a serious inconvenience for us in production. The lack of API versioning is extremely worrying !!!

Enviado do meu iPhone

Em 22 de jan. de 2021, à(s) 17:35, 'Sujoy Basu' via cloud-vision-discuss <cloud-visi...@googlegroups.com> escreveu:

Hello,
--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Cloud Vision Discussion Google Group (cloud-visi...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Cloud Vision community and the Google Cloud Vision Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "cloud-vision-discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cloud-vision-discuss/5eb3c22f-eb5f-4626-bb06-8980e8d59298n%40googlegroups.com.

swaylan

Jan 25, 2021, 10:32:36 AM1/25/21
to cloud-vision-discuss
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, and we understand your frustration.

We are still in the process of the rollback, therefore there isn't much information that can be shared a this time. Please allow us more time (possibly another by the end of this week) in order to implement the fix and provide details to you (and the group) once there is more information to share.

Your patience and cooperation is appreciated.