Very bad entity recognition from WEB_DETECTION

Cédric Nève de Mévergnies

Aug 22, 2021, 9:31:56 AM8/22/21
to cloud-vision-discuss
We are using Google Cloud Vision API to check if documents appear on the web and to categorize them. We are mostly analyzing identity documents. Until April 2021, the responses that we were getting with the feature WEB_DETECTION were mostyly consistent with the images being submitted. It recognized a passport, a driving licence, an identity document,... but since somewhere in April 2021, we are receiving very poor responses in the entities. Most of the time, the first response is "Meter" and the identity document entities are gone.

I have read a few studies that compared Google Cloud Vision with similar services from other providers and some of them were using Meter readings. I wonder if those did not skew the recognition engine.

Did any of you also experience this decrease in entity recognition ?
What could be done to get back to better recognition capabilities ?

Thanks in advance,
Cedric